Betty D's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Betty D's Case History

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:47 pm

After suffering from divericulitis for 15+ years the pain came this past 12-26-01 and knocked me out for two days. As usual I canceled plans and rode out the discomfort with liquid paragoric or Levbid tabs(antispasmotics). Actually the attacks were coming with greater frequency in the past year but 5-01 gyn sx just blurred the field. Since that gyn laparoscopy sx I have been left with a searing, burning pain that no one to date has been able to help me with. I mention that only because it compounded my problems and on 2-02, the third day of a diviticulitis attack, I did get to the PCP. She gave me an antibiotic and for the first time in a long time I felt normal. Traveled to VA and MD to see relatives while taking Ceftin(as I recall). Only off one day when I got horribly sick the morning of 3-3-02 by 8am. "Oh no here we go again",I thought. Ran to the bathroom and eventually was throwing up too. That was a new symptom as was pain on right side. By 10:30pm I was in the ER and admitted. CT scan showed severe diverticulitis on left side, blockage on right side. IV's started right off Leviquin, Flagyl orally..golightly for another nuclear test days later..liquid diet, low residue diet tried with no success, back to liquid then nothing by mouth. More golightly before sx 3-13-02. I was so sore and had by this point used up two containers of Tucks. I lived in that hospital bathroom! The sx was 3 hr long for a colon re-section. One foot of colon was removed and the long recovery started. There were days were I was getting 5 IV's and had three pumps going at the same time. Lots of antibiotics and I was sent home after 17 days. <BR>I was always running to the bathroom. My intuition told me something was wrong. I met with the surgeon for the 1st post op visit and he just ord. another CT scan the following day. It was negative but for soft tissue dmg. I endured at home in the bathroom. Second post op visit I gave him the same complains. Bloody mucus and ill formed sick bowel movements. As an afterthought,as he was leaving the room,he says over his shoulder he will ord C Diff test. I had never heard of it before and didn't ask any questions. It came back positive. Neither he nor the PCP would prescribe they left it up to the gastroenterologist. Eventually I had my appt.& was started on Vanco 125mg qid for 10 days and Colestyramine 1/2 pack qid(but I could only manage 3x day). As soon as day 11 came I called the gastro with complaint of not feeling better and lots of bruising. He passed it off. Re-called him two wks later and this time he re-tested me. It was a "false negative" we now know. Called him again a wk later in agony. Sent to the ER and was admitted.Stool was Toxin A and B positive. Colonoscopy followed the next a.m.(my 4th)which showed C diff, with active colitis and polyps. IV's were started day of admittance for Flagyl and the regular stuff. Four days later released. Now Rx for Colestyramine 1/2 pack just 2x day(which is easy to live with)and tapered dose of Vanco for five weeks. I'm doing fine managing three different calendars for the meds but trouble obtaining Vanco which is major pain in the butt. <BR>Finally had three good days but then followed with a real downer. The bleeding continues and from my labs I see I wasn't anemic when I was readmitted 5-20-02 but left the hospital anemic. Very pale and weak. Try to keep busy reading and passing the day with family problems. There has been plenty of stress and I don't sleep well. I live for the day C diff is history. I've explored the possibility of using probiotics but for the time being just using the standard medical protocal. Diet eliminations are dairy,caffeine,fresh fruits and fresh vegetables. We have a garden every year and this will be tough but I am determined to be cured. I've lost 12# and was only back to work two days when I was back in the hospital. That is two days since 2-02 and now it is 6-02. I want my life back.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:43 am

Can't get the hang of updating and have lost two updates. <BR>I feel much better and am now on the last wk of Vanco tapered dosage and Colestyramine. I noticed a vast improvement after starting acidophilis(refrigerated type and so I've forgotten it twice)and buying rice bread. The loaf was expensive at $5 for 13 slices but I do like the taste. Spent this last week eliminating pop and sure miss my diet Dr Pepper but I think this helps. To sum up I think I spent too much precious time in denial and now I am on the road to recovery. My husband says to keep quiet as I manage to jinx myself!

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:37 pm

Labs of three days in a row came back negative. Blood tests are now negative for anemia too. I'm cautiously optimistic that I have beaten the c diff. Of course, I know I could be "false negative" as before but I truly think this is not the case by mid-July. I started back to work on a reduced schedule and have re-introduced all the prohibited foods. I'll continue w/acidophilis but will not miss the sweet Lactaid or expensive rice bread. So..to sum up 4 1/2 months later I give lots of credit to the power of prayer in my recovery.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”