Francine B.'s Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Postby Guest » Tue May 21, 2002 12:12 pm

In April of 1998, I had an allergic reaction to bactrim(sulfa). I started having digestive problems. Saw several gastros, did tests, have cysts on kidneys and liver, and finally told I have IBS. Modified my diet, but suffered from fatigue, hypertension, continued abdominal problems. Since I'm a teacher, generally, I take 1-2 antibiotics yearly. <BR> <BR>In Dec. 2000, had endometriosis surgery. Some abdominal problems. June 2000 rechecked cat scan of cysts-no changes. <BR> <BR>In 2001, had my metal fillings replaced per some naturopathic reading. Hypertension and fatigue disappeared and health improved. My sister couldn't believe the difference. I also found a naturopathic doctor in October(pre-c.diff), but did not tell my primary care. <BR> <BR>Oct.-Dec. 2001 I caught a bad cough. I tried to fight it, but finally called my primary care and she prescribed cipro which worked right away. <BR> <BR>About 4 weeks later, I had uncontrollable bowels for which she prescribed lomotil. Two weeks later, I had a staff infection climbing down my left big toe nail. I went to urgent care and was on Keflex for 5 days. I still had bowel problems and had a stool sample which was c. dif positive. I was given 14 days of flagyl. I felt okay. Then I had toenail surgery and 5 more days of keflex. Then, 5 days later, fever, shaking, chills, and went to Urgent Care for 10 more days of flagyl. A few days after the flagyl, noticed the symptoms coming back. I saw my p.c., had another positive c.diff test, gave me 14 more days of flagyl, and referred me to a gastro. <BR> <BR>Symptoms still obvious after 2 weeks. P.C. then puts me on vanco 125mg 4x. I am now on medical leave. I see the gastro 1.5 weeks later. She wants me in the hospital. I won't go. I do another stool sample but is neg. and 3 days later I am sicker. <BR> <BR>Gastro admits me to hospital(5/3) for 3 days. My blood work is bad. I start with flagyl IV alternating with vanco caps. IV burns me after a day so they start flagyl tabs but they go right through. Neg. for c.diff. Released(5/6) feeling great. <BR> <BR>My gastro made me promise to give all my health supplements up when she did the sigmoid my second day in the hospital(5/3-6) and she said, "...let the vanco do its job. I had c.dif,too and the vanco will work. I lived on rice for 4 days. You are testing negative. You just have the stomach flu now." <BR> <BR>I went back on supplements within the week(May 10) since I wasn't getting better. She didn't want me on any more vanco since I was neg. I followed up with her but didn't bother telling her about probiotics as she knows all about c.dif since she had it, too. <BR> <BR>However, my gastro and my primary care don't seem to communicate. I didn't say that I go to a naturopath. My p.c. didn't know that I was in the hospital for 3 days. I did a follow up with my p.c., told her I was out of vanco 125 mg and she got me vanco 250 mg and thank goodness she didn't call the gastro. I'm the worst case my p.c. has seen. She finally gave me a referral for another gastro but he can't see me until July. <BR> <BR>The pharmacists said mine was the last vanco in Phoenix; they will be out until July. I only have a week left. Don't know what is next. Luckily, I don't get side effects from vanco nor flagyl except that nasty taste. I still have symptoms so I am pulsing 2 days on one off. I am reading and watching comedies to get out of this depression. <BR> <BR>I have only lost five lbs., but my gastro had me on jello, ginger ale, Gatorade, juice, rice, yogurt and broth. That is too much sugar. Yogurt hurts me and the naturopath says the studies she has read show most of the bacteria is dead so it is counterproductive. Can't find Florastor to save my life, so I am using another brand, but I really like the HMF powder l.acidophilus and l. bifidus I got from her. I also started drinking Aloe Vera juice mixed with cranberry juice.

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:14 pm

I have been off vanco for 1 month and out of the hospital for 2 months. Once I got Florastor, I started to improve. <BR> <BR>I started seeing a counselor and doing yoga. I am asking for 504 help so I can start working 8/5, but still have up to 6 BMs a day. The comedy helped me out of my depression. I strongly recommend joke books or comedy videos. <BR> <BR>I have a new gastro and he speaks fluent c.diff. He scheduled me for 7/30 for a colonoscopy and stool sample just to make sure I am neg. I feel much better about my care now.

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:18 pm

Well, I feel so lucky! I found a naturopath that gave me HMF Powder by Genestra Brands (acidophilus/bifidus mix) that I could keep down after my hospital stay. I NEVER took another flagyl nor vanco after I started using the HMF. <BR> <BR>When I had the colonoscopy, the new gastro talked like there was nothing wrong with me even though I was still weak and had difficulty eating. Haven't seen him since July. <BR> <BR>I would have brief relapses, but as soon as I took HMF, the c-dif stopped. I even had to take antbiotics for an infected tooth so I relapsed, but as soon as I took the HMF I was fine. I always keep some HMF nearby but have not relapsed since Oct. 2002-about 5 months ago- for one day. <BR> <BR>I have also found a naturopath that has been unbelievable in my recovery to the point that I can eat everything but dairy now. I can teach without a TA now. I am active and very healthy. It's hard to believe I was in the hospital last May and scared, losing weight at a rapid rate.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”