Amanda 1's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Amanda 1's Case History

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2002 4:34 pm

July 2001 <BR> <BR>I was on doxy for three weeks with no adverse reaction other than oversensitivity to sunlight. <BR> <BR>August 2001 <BR> <BR>I was put on IV Rocephin for lymes disease since the doxy had not worked. Three days into treatment I developed severe diahrea. My doctor told me this was odd that the medication would give me diahrea since it was going into my bloodstream. He was wrong. He prescribed and anti-diahrea medication which I took along with lots of yogurt and the problem seemed to be under control. <BR> <BR>September 2001 <BR> <BR>One week after coming off the Rocephin IV I was rushed to the ER with pain all over my body, chills, fever, severe diahrea w/blood, and I was vomiting. The ER doctor said I had pseudomembranous colitis and put me on Flagyl. After three awful days on the Flagyl my diahrea got worse, still had a fever, still had blood in my stools. Meantime the tests results from the ER visit came back positive for c-diff. After explaining to my doctor that the Flagyl was making me even more ill .. he put me in the hospital. I went through a few tests .. x-ray, catscan. All came back negative for any other problems. THey gave me one dose of IV Vancomycin... which was a mistake since IV vanco does nothing for c-diff. I was then put on oral vancomycin and stayed in the hospital for 5 days (they would not let me leave until I had no more abdominal pain or diahrea). <BR> <BR>October 2001 <BR> <BR>Was tested for c-diff again after finishing the Vanco. THe tests came back negative for c-diff. Although the tests were negative I was having diahrea again. The doctor put me back on Vanco for two weeks. During the two weeks on Vanco I felt better and my stools hardened but had no color at all. They looked kind of yellow or very light tan. I thought I was getting back to normal. <BR> <BR>November 2001 <BR> <BR>One week before my period I had major abdominal pain and had the feeling like I always had to evacuate never feeling quite done. I could barely eat and the pain was excrutiating. I thought I was getting the c-diff back again so I was referred to a gastro doctor. After an examination he determined that I had IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and that the c-diff aggravated this condition. He put me on Bentyl and I am drinking Metamucil daily. <BR> <BR>December 2001 <BR> <BR>Had another attack one week before my period. Again had to take the Bentyl which really helped. I was tested again for c-diff and the tests came back negative. My doctor still tells me that it takes a while for the intestinal tract to get back to normal after a bout with c-diff especially in the form I had (pseudomembranous colitis). So I followed the regimen and was feeling better. <BR> <BR>January 2002 <BR> <BR>I am feeling alot better and my stools are back to normal. I did get a bladder infection and was scared to death about being put on antibiotics for it. I tried to do the cranberry juice and water but it had moved to my kidneys. I was given levaquin. Took one and got sick .. only for a day. They switched me to Bactrim which I was great on for about 5 days. I developed the symptoms of IBS again so I have to call the doctor to see what he wants me to do about that. I will add to my posting when I know whats going on.

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2002 4:41 pm

I also would like to add that I am a 32 year old woman and never had any problems with antibiotics before the Rocephin.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”