Lisa's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 16, 2001 9:54 pm

I am a 34 year old from Pennsylvania who works in the medical field doing billing for a skilled nursing facility. (So if anyone has any type of insurance questions about their lovely managed care insurance, I will be happy to help. I've been doing this for 15 years and have found that these HMO's are a nightmare!!!) <BR> <BR>I was diagnosed in November 1999 with Mono and Lyme disease at the same time! <BR>I was given a 30day treatment of Amoxicillin to treat the Lyme. I was out of work 2 months due to these illnesses. About mid January 2001 I developed a cold/cough. My family doc prescribed a 10 day course of amoxicillin again and it didn't work. I stuck it out for another 4 weeks or so until the coughing (I believe to this day broke a rib,however, my doctor never felt the need do do a chest x-ray)got so bad I asked for medication(big mistake)and was given Biaxin. I took the Biaxin for 10 days and the bronchitis went away. <BR> <BR>Then the fun began. <BR>March 2000, I started with what I thought was my irritable bowel. (I was previously diagnosed with that 2 years ago and was on Donnatal to treat it.) <BR>I treated myself for about 2 1/2 mths with my irritible bowel medicine and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. Things started getting worse by June. I had diahhrea for 13 days straight, the major abdominal pains and just general weakness. I called my gastroenterologist and they couldn't see me for 1 week. I said if you don't see me, I'm going to the ER. So needless to say, he saw me that day.(works all the time!) The gastro sent me for various tests. He was convinced it was my thyroid, which I knew it wasn't but......hey, he's the doctor. Stool sample showed c-diff and I was put on a 10 day course of Flagyl. Flagyl seemed to work. I only 2 minor side effects and they were, nausea and thrush in my mouth. I Took Nystatin to cure the thrush. <BR>About 1 week after finishing the Flagyl the c-diff returned. The doctor then prescribed a 10 day course of Vancomycin 125mg 4x's day.The Vanco worked like a charm within 2 or 3 days. After finishing that I started taking Acidophilus 1 capsule a day as a precaution. It seems to be helping. <BR> <BR>I'm proud to say to this date, August 16,2001 the c-diff has not returned. It's been almost 4 weeks and my stools are formed. I sometimes can go as much as 3 times a day but the other horrible stuff is gone. As sad as it sounds, as long as they are formed I don't care how they look. I don't think, however, they will ever be the same. I lost 10lbs which I could not afford to loose. I'm very thin to begin with. I'm on the track of gaining it back but it's been slow. <BR> <BR>I do have to agree with either Lauren or Bobbie's 3 day rule though. I thought a week after stopping the vanco that I might have it back again and I panicked and called the Gastro. He hesitated and ordered another stool sample. I'm glad he did because the stool sample came back negative. I'm praying it wasn't a false negative though! <BR> <BR>I have a colonoscopy scheduled for August 24 which I am dreading. Let's keep our fingers crossed it goes ok. I will keep you updated.

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 03, 2001 2:46 pm

Hi All! I think I've been procrastinating updating my case history for fear I will jinx myself. <BR> <BR>I had a colonoscopy done in August and it just simply showed inflammation due to the C-diff. The GI put my back on a 10day course of Vanco and I have been c-diff free since then. I went for a follow-up in Sept. and since my weight was still very low he did some more tests. Another C-diff stool sample, Stool sample for WBC's and stool for fecal fat. Labs were Sed rate and CBC. He, I think, thought I may have malabsorption but everything came back ok! I was glad and a little frustrated at the same time. I was hoping something could explain me not gaining weight! <BR> <BR>Today I'm happy to say it seems that I have put on a couple of pounds! It's a long, long road though. <BR> <BR>I try to eat a yogurt a day and I do take acidophilus faithfully. I follow the 3 day rule and that is not to panic when my stools get "funny". It usually does only last about a day. Being a woman, I'm convinced that there is about 1 week out of the month that I feel good. You woman out there know what I mean!!!! <BR> <BR>I do consider myself a success story at this point. I hope and pray that I don't ever HAVE to take an antibiotic again. If it comes down to a life or death thing then I guess I'll have to take one but until then...................

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 25, 2002 8:48 pm

Hi everyone! Been neglecting this site simply because I have been feeling real good since my bout with c-diff. It's now March and I can safely say that I beat my case of c-diff. I battled with it for approx 6mths. Not that long I know compared to some but it can be beat. 1 dose of Flagyl and 2 doses of vanco. <BR> <BR>I'm never going to be free of the fear of having to take an antibiotic though. It will haunt me forever! My gastro assures me that IF needed he can put me on vanco along with the antibiotic and it will prevent the c-diff from recurring! We shall see if the time would ever come. I made it this winter without my yearly case of bronchitis! (knock on wood). That usually causes me to go on an antibiotic. Never again though. Without a chest xray verification of pneumonia, this body will not ingest an antibiotic ever again. <BR> <BR>I had to cut down my yogurt intake due to kidney stone problems. I do believe though that the 6mths that I faithfully ate one a day, helped both get the good bacteria in my body and helped my IBS. <BR> <BR>Hang in there you current sufferers. There is light at the end of the tunnel. It's a LONG road but you'll get there. By the way, I finally gained back the 10lbs I lost with c-diff.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”