sltinucci Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
sltinucci
New User

sltinucci Case History

Postby sltinucci » Tue May 08, 2007 11:03 am

In March 2005 I had dental surgery and was given Clindomyicn. That night I started having diarrhea and running a fever. This went on for about 3 days before I finally went to the ER. I thought I had the flu? They admitted me because my fever was 104 and I was severly dehydrated. Anyway the admitting doc knew right away as soon as I told her I had taken the Clindomycin. She did a culture and I was in the hospital for 4 days. I went home with Flyagl and finished the course. Well 2 days later I was back in the ER worse off then the first time. I was so sick I could hardly walk. Anyway I was admitted again for 5 days and referred to a gi doc. I had every test you can imagine, but the sigmoid scope was the worst. I could see all the green stuff and white and yellow plaque on my colon. The gi doc was so rude and not very understanding of my illness so I asked my primary doc for another referral and am still seeing my new gi.

My new gi put me on Vanco and I had to pulse. I think I was on the Vanco until about June. Anway I winded up back at the ER in August and again in September. Admitted to the hospital again in Sept 05. Again in the hospital in January 06 and was told I had a perferation of the bowel. Lucky for me I had scar tissue from a hystorectomy that prevented the bowel from leaking into the stomache. In March 06 I had surgery for the perferation and they removed approx. 18 inches of my colon.

I tried to return to work in June and was told I no longer had a job (Ihadn't worked since Jan 06) I was on the Vanco until approx. June 06 and did well until I got a very bad sinus infection in December 06. I was put on Cipro along with Vanco 2x per day. Guess what? I got cdiff the very same day I started the Cipro. At first I thought it was just a side affect from the Cipro so I continued to take it for 7 days. Finally I called my doc and he said to stop the Cipro and take the Vanco 4x per day for another week. Well I know cdiff, so I took it for 2 weeks, went off and had a relapse. Took Vanco for another 3 weeks went off and 2 days later another relapse.

Finally went to the gi doc in February. My stool tested positive for cdiff, even though I had been on the Vanco since December. (except for the 2 times I stopped for 2 days) Anyway, here it is May and I'm still on Vanco 4x per day. He also gave me a new drug Xifaxan and added the clostruim. (triying to get the Xifaxan is another story)

I'm still bloated, still in pain (no d though) very tired all the time, but my last stool sample came out negative. So the doc thinks I don't have cdiff any longer as my test was negative. If I stopped the Vanco tomorrow, I will bet my life the cdiff is back within 2 days.

Anyway, now he is having a CT scan done, blood and urine tests as he thinks I might have kidney stones. I know I don't, I know it's the cdiff causing my symptoms. Why don't they listen to us. We know our own bodies?

I've learned in the last 2 years what cdiff can do, the symptoms, the smell and when it's back. My gi told me, "I never thought I'd see you in here again"!!!! When I went on the Cipro, my primary doc called the gi and asked what he should give me. He's the one that suggested the Cipro.

I know one thing - I cannot ever take another antibiotic, even if it is not a strong one.

My problem is I have chronic sinus infections. But I think all of the years of taking the antibiotics in the first place has landed me right where I am.

Well I hope my history will help someone else. I do not wish this thing on anyone.

PS: Not one time out of 5 did the hospital put me in a separate room or use any precautions even though they knew I had cdiff. And I was in 3 separate hospitals! One of my roomies used the restroom down the hall because she was scared she would get what I had. I finally started asking for a portable potty. Mostly because it was easier but also because I didn't want anyone else to get this.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”