Seadance's Case Hisory

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
seadance
Brand New Poster

Seadance's Case Hisory

Postby seadance » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:00 am

I had my first gastric bypass surgery in 2003, and a revision of that surgery in 2004. Since the first three months I have had the symptoms of C. Diff. repeatedly but my cultures always came back negative and eventually the Drs mainly stopped checking them at all. I was treated at least eight times with Flagyl and twice with Vancomycin (I also had definate MRSA so this was mostly for that.) My symptoms would improve but never went completely away.

Throughout this period I had symptoms of colitis at times and twice was diagnosed with membranous colitis r/t concurrent infection, once with C. Bactor and once never cultured or specified. I have had numerous blood transfusions for both active bleeding and for my failing to produce enough blood cells which was blamed on my "malabsorptive status" due to my gastric bypass problems. Lab tests reveal many low levels of vitamins and minerals and protein nutrients and I am on mega vitamin treatments including once weekly injections for B1. I have carefully followed my prescribed diet, do not drink or smoke, and am at goal weight since 2004, dipping below that at times.

Finally I got a positive culture for C. Diff. by waiting until I had a textbook perfect example of a C. Diff. stool before sending in the sample. Within days of starting the flagyl, the biggest change in increasingly severe joint pain which began in my knees and has spread to nearly my whole body now. It hurts to walk. My gut is hurting worse than when I started the flagyl, too. I had taken flagyl in the past without these symptoms.

I am a Registered Nurse with more than thirty years of experience in my field. I am somewhat puzzled by what is happening, convinced I have a resistant form of the spore disease. and that my gastric "rebuild" from the bypass and revision a year later are the big risk factor here. Thoughts, suggestions, and encouragement are gladly accepted.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”