Dawn's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Dawn
New User

Dawn's Case History

Postby Dawn » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:35 pm

I have been visiting this website for about a month or so now. I first contracted c. diff 15 months ago when I developed an infected cyst in my neck and was put on Amoxicillin. I was pregnant, in my first trimester so I opted not to take the Flagyl that was prescribed. I took the Curturelle and became asymptomatic after about 3 weeks. I re-tested and came back negative for c.diff. I had a c.diff free pregancy after that. Then my son was born on Sept 26th 2006 by c-section. I spiked a fever that evening and the doctors put me on 48 hrs of IV antibiotics (three different ones). I immediately started taking the Lactobacillus (Culturelle). I could tell that the antibiotics were effecting me, did not get the D. but my bowels were loose and would completely empty even before I left the hospital. I stopped taking the Culturelle after a few weeks because I "felt" fine.

About 2 months after I had my son I began getting the cramping, mucus with small amounts of blood, and frequent urges to go to the bathroom, about 10x per day. Most of the time it was just mucus/puss. I had a c.diff test that came back negative. I had several other tests that all came back negative. I had a sigmoidoscopy and the GI doctor took a biopsy and had me do another stool culture, I WAS positive for c. diff.

The GI doctor put me on 2 weeks of Vanco 250mg/ 3x day. I experienced no side effects, after a few days I felt better and by the end of the run I was having only one solid bowl movement per day with no mucus. I relapsed after 8 days. The GI doctor then put me on a 4 week taper of vanco 250 mg. 2 wks @ 3/day, 1 wk @ 2/day and 1 wk at 1/ day. I aslo took Primal Defense 2-3/day and the Culturelle.

I have relapsed again after 2 1/2 weeks. Now the GI Dr has prescribed the Xifaxan (Rifaximin). 200mg @ 3/day for 14 days. He stated he has not used it before but an ID Dr. suggested it to him. My GI Dr. states that if this line of treatment does not work then he suggests the IVg which he has only done a few times. It seems he has limited experience with chronic relapsing c. diff. I asked him about a longer taper dose or pulse dosing and it was he was not that open to it.

My concern, after reading many of the success stories, is that 2 weeks may not be enough. I am hoping this will be the end of my c. diff.

My son is now 6.5 months old. I am so glad that thus far I have not transmitted it to him. I have been breastfeeding, which is why initially I went onto the vanco. I nursed through the first round of vanco, however, my husband and I decided that when I had to go back on the vanco that we did not want to keep exposing our son to it so I pumped and dumped. I then resumed breastfeeding after round 2 of vanco. Now I am going to have to stop nursing again. This time I am considering stopping all together....I am wondinging if my immune system is suppressed from the nursing/hormones. I am torn because I want to give my baby the best milk possible but I also want to give him a healthy mother.

I took my first dose of xifaxan today. I will continue with the Primal Defense and the Culturelle.

If I relapse I am not sure that I want to do the IVg before trying a longer taper or pulse dosing of vanco. I might need to get a new Dr.

Dawn
New User

Postby Dawn » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:32 pm

April 27th: Update: I just took my last dose of Xifaxan this morning. I have to tell you that I havent really felt like the cdiff is gone from the beginning of taking this med. The vanco really seemed to make me feel better, have more normal consistency,color & odor stools, and less gas. It seems like with this medication even just before the time for the next dose I already felt gassy and rumbling. Only time will tell.

My husband is a nurse and he is extremely concerned about catching the cdiff and some other antibiotic resistent virus that is caused when someone has been on antibiotics too much. He can't work if he get's it. I can do all I can to have proper hygene and keep my enviorment clean.
I will need to get re-tested. Some posters have indicated that sometimes doctors will not treat without full blown D. Another poster said that they believed that if they do not have full blown sypmtoms then they believed they were healing...I think that is a great postive attitute..I hope I can keep that in mind. However, my doctor stated that if I test postive then I have it - whether or not my symptoms have improved and wants a negative test as he is concerned about the cdiff causing toxic megacolon. My husband needs me to test negative also.

I have decided not to resume breastfeeding after the Xifaxan because I am just afraid of another relapse and trying to battle this disease, working, taking care of my baby and trying to pump to keep my supply up is just too much. I have been reducing my pumping to wean myself off.

I just pray, as I am sure everyone with cdiff, to be"cured" soon.

Dawn
New User

Postby Dawn » Tue May 08, 2007 3:43 pm

Well it has been 11 days since my last dose of antiboitic. The first three days I felt great- somewhat normal stools, no cramping, D, or mucus. Then i started gettting mucus with a small amount of blood with my stool or just mucus by itself. Following the three day rule my symptoms did not seem to get worse and I never did get D. I figured that it was most likely irritation due my diet so I cut out all caffein and stopped the only dairy I was having (yogurt) and the mucus seems to have stopped and my stools are more normal- still two a day. Today, however, I had some cramping on my left side for a brief period after my first movement of the day and I have felt pretty nausous all day. I left a message for the doctor to call me. I have stil been taking my probotic- I might be taking too much- may be I need to cut back ad that would aleviate he nausea. I will try and see.

Dawn
New User

Postby Dawn » Fri May 11, 2007 1:14 pm

My GI DR called back on Tuesday and he ordered some new stool tests and told me he will schedule an appointment after the results come in as the last time I saw him/ only time I saw him was in January when I had a sigmoidocoy and was diagnosed. The Dr told me that it will take a long time for my insides to heal after c.diff and he wants to discuss things with me to close the book on this. I felt put off and it made me feel like I am some kind of hypocondriac or something.

Well Tuesday evening I did develop watery diarrehea. I did the stool tests on Wednesday. The Dr's office called on Thursday left a message and said c.diff was negative and scheduled an appointment for me the end of May. The other labs were not in yet. I have had profuse water diarrehea since Tuesday. I am concerned that my c.diff test was too soon after antibiotics (less than two weeks) and the fact that the lab had the results in less than 24 hrs.

I called my GI Dr. office this morning and left a message to call me with my other labs and order another c.diff test- and possibly a colonoscopy.

It is Friday- I still have the watery D. I do not have the frequent urges like before but something is wrong for sure. I still feel nausous.

I think I will be getting a new Dr. who has more experince with c.diff.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”