Alliejp's Case history

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
alliejp
New User

Alliejp's Case history

Postby alliejp » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:42 am

This all started because of Bacterial Vaginosis. I had never had it before and was given Flagyl. I started to feel bad about three days into my course of medication but thought it was due to stress. Anxious, terrible migranes, dizziness, by day 5 I thought it was the Flagyl and asked my doctor for something different. She tested me and said the BV was gone so no need for more medication and that some people dont react well to Flagyl and if this happened again, we should try something different.

Three weeks later the BV came back, I dont think I was completely cured the last time. The Gyn suggested Clindomycin this time, since I didnt handle the Flagyl well, I asked about the cream and she said the cure rate wasnt good and that oral Clindomycin was better. I had a bad feeling when I got it filled because the pharasist warned me of C.diff and asked if there was anything else the doctor could give me. When I called and asked the doctor stated "no" and not to worry, it was very rare to get C.diff. My husband said not to worry and that I would be fine. I just had a bad feeling from the moment I took it.

Three days into my Clindo, I developed "D". I called the doctor right away and spoke with the nurse, she stated most antibiotics will cause "D" and to eat some yogurt, not to worry. I asked if it could be the beginning of C.diff, but she said no, antibiotics cause "D".

By day 5 I was in pain, going 10 times a day, stomach cramping, gassy, the whole C.diff works. I refused to take another dose of the Clindo and called the doctor, it was Christmas Eve and she had to be paged. I told her what was going on and she was very upset by the nurses reaction two days earlier, and told me I should have stopped it then. She told me to go to the ER and be checked for C.diff and dehydration and to call her the day after Christmas.

I went to the ER and told them what was going on, the ER doc stated that I had picked a bad time to get a stomach bug. I asked about C.diff and mentioned what my GYN had said, he asked me why I would think C.diff. I told him my symptoms and he said no, you have a stomach bug. No stool sample was taken. Although I was checked for dehydration and given a pelvic as he though the cramping might be from PID since this began with BV.

Christmas was horrible and spent mostly on the toliet, I wanted to go back to the ER but my husband get reminded me we were just there and I was told I had a stomach bug. He wholehearted believed the doc.

The day after I called my GYN, I told her what happened in the ER, and she was livid. She tried to find a GI for me to go to, but being the holiday was unable to. She told me to go to a different ER, and demand the on call GI or ID doctor and to call her the next day.

At the ER, the doctor again asked why I would think C.diff, I told my symptoms, (between bathroom breaks as I was now going every 15-30 minutes) He again said stomach bug. Had blood drawn and checked for dehydration. I asked for a GI or ID doctor and asked if a stool sample would be taken. He told me this was not unnecessary as I wasnt even dehydrated and if I had C.diff I would be. I demanded a stool sample be done at this point. And for a GI. When the GI was brought in and I told him my symptoms he said there should absolutely be a stool sample done, and why hadnt one been ordered. He said it was classic antibiotic induced c.diff. The stool sample was done and came back positive, I was still in the hospital as I refused (yes I actually refused) to leave until the test came back the next day. I was started on I.V. Vanco, which was stopped a few hours later when the GI came in and said this wasnt going to help me and I needed it oral. The on call doc came back and gave me a script for vanco, 125 every 4 hours for 7 days, told to follow up with a GI and promptly discharged.

I felt better three days into the Vanco and made a follow up with a GI, although the earliest I could get was two weeks after my last dose.

I took my last dose two days ago and things are going downhill. Two bouts of "D" today and increasing gas and cramps. I dont even had the heart to tell my husband yet as he is convinced I am "cured". He has chalked up my two days of "D" as something I ate. Hopefully, I wont get out of hand and I will be able to make to the GI and not have to go back to the ER. And maybe it is just something I ate right now, I will keep you updated.

I have also been taking probiotics (although the odd thing is that I have taken them for a year as a supplement, I just take more now) Hopefully this will help.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”