Marry's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Marry
New User

Marry's Case History

Postby Marry » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:02 pm

This is my case history…not unlike many others. It is a bit long, but still an abbreviated version.

When all this started I did not have a Primary Doctor so I saw many Urgent Care Doctors as well as Physician’s Assistance and ER Doctors. Never had the some one twice. I do now have a Primary GP Doctor and she is great.

November 2005 Clindamycin for dental work

December 2005 Urgent Care Doctor - Symptoms started, low abdominal pain, cramping etc. Blood work and X-ray. Diagnosed with a UTI and prescribed Bactrim. The Physician’s Assistant said if there was anything bad in my gut the Bactrim would take care of that too. It did help a little while on it, but that was temporary.

January 2006 Symptoms back. Urgent Care Doctor - blood work and an X-ray. Said everything looked okay. Drink more water, get more fiber and walk for ten minutes after dinner.

March 2nd, 2006 Primary Doctor – Blood tests, and stool test.

March 11th - No word from tests. Called and asked the nurse about results. She said the blood work was all fine. Asked about the C-diff results. She said they didn’t have it and the test might just take longer. (I know better now!)

March 24rd – Three weeks after bringing in a stool sample…Doubled over in pain, even drinking water was killing me, got an appointment with a Physician’s Assistant. She questioned if I did bring in a stool sample as some people just don’t do it. I had on March 3rd. She said she would have to try to track it down and ordered more blood work. (The C-Diff test is done at the Hospital and faxed to the doctor) While walking to the lab, the PA called me back and said they found the results. Positive of course. Finally an answer!!!

So started the courses of antibiotics…

Flagyl 10 days
Flagyl 14 days
Vanco 250 mg taper

May 30th – Last dose of Vanco and in for a Colonoscopy. All fine, just wait for biopsy results.

June 1st – Symptoms returning and worse. Back to my GP Doctor. Almost a full physical exam to rule other stuff out. Also a full abdominal CT scan. All okay.

June 6th – Called GI about colonoscopy biopsy results. Positive for C-Diff. Prescribed Vanco 125 mg QID. (Note the lower dose??? And why did I have to hunt down results again???)

June 14th – Vanco not working. Over 2 months to get in with a GI Doctor. When to the ER. I knew they couldn’t really do anything for me, but was ordered to get in with a GI ASAP. That was all I really wanted. Still over a week to get in.

June 20st - GI didn’t think I could still have it. Asked for three stool samples and if any were positive he would prescribe antibiotics, but would have to research on exactly how to treat me.

June 22nd - Three samples, three positives. Prescribed a three month Flagyl taper. When tapering, symptoms started to return. Upped the dose myself which did help.

July 26th – GI appointment. Stay on Flagyl for one month and do not taper.

August 14th – Primary Doctor to get referred to someone with more knowledge about C-Diff. She conferred with the GI and would refer me to local ID Doctors, the University of MN and the Mayo Clinic and take which ever had the first opening. Ended up with an appointment at the U of M ID Doctors September 14th.

August 23rd – GI - Brought my email response from when I contacted Dr. McDonald. He had stated that at the point I was at most clinicians would be prescribing Vanco. GI changed me to Vanco 250mg QID Dr. McDonald also mentioned the stool transplant procedure in Duluth, MN. And as I live in MN, thought that might be an option. I asked the GI to refer me to Dr. Rubin in Duluth.

August 30th – Call from Dr. Rubin in Duluth. Went over my whole history and started to plan for the stool transplant. He said to keep the appointment at the U of M.

September 14th – U of M appointment. Vanco 500mg QID for one month, go off and see what happens. Discussed the stool transplant with the ID Doctors to see what they thought of it. They knew about it, but didn’t really recommend it mostly for “ick” factor. I didn’t tell them I was going ahead with it.

October 4th – To Duluth for the stool transplant. Quick and easy. Not fun, but heck, if it works…

October 30th – 4 week follow up C-Diff test...
Negative!!!!!!!

I still have IBS issues which could take quite a while to go away, but that is nothing like the pain of full blown active C-diff.

Mary

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”