Lana's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Lana
Contributor

Lana's Case History

Postby Lana » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:37 am

I developed C-diff in June 2006, when I was 2 months pregnant. My doctor diagnosed a vaginal infection and prescribed Clindamycin. I was fearful of taking any drugs while pregnant, and hesitated, calling the office to double check its safety. I read my pregnancy books and learned that vaginal infections can cause preterm labor, and I did not want to lose the baby, so I took the Clindamycin. I think I developed C-diff within a few days of taking it, because my BMs became more frequent and loose (sorry if TMI), but I had no pain and I attributed it to my more healthful diet and pregnancy; I didn't know I was sick.

(Now, I know that Clindamycin is one of the major offenders.... before I was pregnant I had a prescription for topical Clindamycin which I occassionally used for acne; now I think it couldn't have helped that I was using that periodically for a couple of years prior to the oral Clindamycin.)

About a week and a half after finishing my 10 day cycle of Clindamycin, I developed severe abdominal cramping, constant BM with mucus and it became painful to constantly "go." I went to ER on July 4 on the recommendation of the advice nurse. The ER doctor didn't really want to deal with me since I was pregnant and he didn't think it was that serious. He said I had hemorrhoids and told me to follow up with OB/Gyn.

I went to OB/Gyn a couple days later and to their credit, they did immediately suspect C-diff (although the Nurse/Midwife I saw said she never had a pregnant patient with it). I was tested and told that I would be prescribed 14 days of Flagyl (500 mg/3x a day), BUT due to uncertainties about its safety during the first trimester of pregnancy, I should wait 3 more weeks to begin taking it.

I waited EXACTLY 3 weeks and began Flagyl. I began feeling better almost immediately and was soooo relieved. I was worried about the effects of the C-diff on my baby, but I was told it would not have harmed the the baby unless I became dehydrated, so I was somewhat relieved.

Nine days after finishing Flagyl, I relapsed--again with the abdominal cramping, mucus, and worse D. I was tested again and prescribed another round of Flagyl (14 days/ 500mg/ 3x a day). Doctor said that maybe they didn't treat it long enough considering how long I waited to have it treated.

A couple of days later, I got horrible news about the condition of my baby when they did the ultrasound. I began to have what I now know as peripheral neuropathy from the Flagyl (nerve tingling/numbness), but I didn't know if I was just crazy stressed out or REALLY havin a side effect.

After several days, I told a doctor and he took me off Flagyl.
In the meantime, I lost my baby at 20 weeks, which is a whole other story I won't get into here, but it was extremely traumatic.

Since I wasn't pregnant anymore, doctors weren't worried about Vancomycin anymore. I switched to Vancomycin (14 days, 150mg, 4x a day). A couple doctors I saw mentioned trying probiotics, so I made sure to eat yogurt, tried Lactinex granules as one recommended, and later bought Floramore (I couldn't find Florastor, and I know they aren't the same).

Now, one week after finishing the Vancomycin, I can tell I am relapsing. I am not in severe pain yet, but I know from the other signs. I did another stool test and I am awaiting my doctor's call to tell me where we go from here. I think they plan to do some kind of pulsing this time, (but it sounds different than what I have read on this site--my doctor mentioned something like 1 week on, 1 week off).

Before all this, I was healthy and active. I thought nothing rare happened to me. I thought none of the unusual side effects would happen to me. I was wrong.

I was fearful I would never be able to have a child with this C-diff thing, even once I got well. What would I do if I needed an antibiotic? I did email my case to Dr. Clifford McDonald at the CDC. I asked him about the possible effects of the toxins on a fetus. He said, "We don’t know how well the C. diff toxins are absorbed much less whether they are mutogenic or for some other reason likely to cause birth defects." I feel this was an honest answer.... I was relieved though, to read on this site how other women are having healthy babies despite the C-diff. I am happy for them for that and hope we can all be cured of C-diff!

Lana
Contributor

Postby Lana » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:13 am

Well, I did have a relapse. The doctor prescribed a 6 week course of Vanco on the following tapering method:
Vanco 125 mg /
4x daily for 1 week
2x daily for 1 week
1x daily for 1 week
1 every other day for 1 week
1 every third day for 2 weeks

I am currently in the week where I do one every other day. I was very nervous about this part, but so far I'm okay. I did go ahead and buy Florastor and Culturelle, and I make sure to take at least 1 of each every day. I also eat yogurt (Dannon and Activia) and occasionally take a Primal Defense. I feel a lot stronger than I have in months, and I'm hopeful I will beat this!

Lana
Contributor

Postby Lana » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:28 pm

I finished my taper last Wednesday. I has been 7 days and no sign of relapse. This is the longest I have been without symptoms. I am very hopeful this time c-diff will stay away.
I take 3 Florastor, 2 Culturelle, and eat yogurt for breakfast and snacks daily. I need to turn in some stool tests, but so far, I don't even have to go!

Lana
Contributor

Postby Lana » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:06 am

5 weeks post taper and still no c-diff. Yeaaah!

I turn in stool samples but it turned out that I wasted my time. Tests weren't conducted because they were formed. I'm doing fine but my doc wants me to have a colonoscopy because there are bowel diseases in my family (ulceritive colitis and chron's disease). I am going to have the colonoscopy next week.

Lana
Contributor

Still healthy!

Postby Lana » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:40 am

4 months since finishing my taper and still healthy! I had a little scare when I took an antibiotic (doxycycline) for a medical procedure in February. It seemed like c-diff again! I was soooo frightened and kicking myself for agreeing to the procedure. Luckily it was just temporary antibiotic-associated D and it went away after a few days.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”