Ajs case history

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Ajs
Regular Contributor

Ajs case history

Postby Ajs » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:24 pm

I turned 40 (male) on December 28 2017. January 2018 I started feeling unwell. Very low energy, just felt like my immune system was down to nothing. By the middle of February it got really bad. I went to the local first med (I never got sick much and didn’t even have a regular doctor). They said Flu with pneumonia! Gave me steroids and antibiotics. I then developed a rash on my wrist (a couple weeks later) that I feared was staph. Went back and they gave me another antibiotic and sent me to a dermatologist for a culture. Turned out to be fungal. So was prescribed a fungal medicine. By now I started having trouble holding thoughts, concentrating. Brain fog was HORRIBLE!! I can’t even describe it. Started losing weight. I would completely wear out of energy and would have to lay down. It was so scary! My sinuses became severely inflamed! Stools were loose with M and a touch of B from time to time. Started feeling just a little better. Decided to try jogging a little. BIG mistake! I had a horrible relapse and had to go to an urgent care. Tested positive for the flu AGAIN!! This was around the middle or end of March (it’s all a blur). Given tamaflu and more steroids. By now my bp was high and my heart rate was CRAZY! My skin was tingling and I had tinnitus terribly! End of April I went to a ENT and after a ct scan (and observing all my symptoms) he thought it’d be best for me to have sinus surgery. I was diagnosed with chronic pansinusitis. He started to prescribe me ANOTHER antibiotic and I freaked! I told him my body couldn’t tolerate more meds. I had lost so much weight. No appetite. I mentioned to him that I had noticed a little blood when I went to the bathroom. He immediately ordered a stool test for an infection called cdiff which I had never heard of. I just knew I needed relief and he wasn’t going to do the surgery until we ruled out cdiff. Well, it came back positive! I freaked out! I had started reading up on it and knew it could be really horrible and hard to get rid of. Sure enough my case was tough. Not really because the cdiff was so bad, but because I had zero defense to fight it off. The good bacteria in my gut was totally killed off from all the antibiotics I had previously been on. I was given Vancomycin for 14 days. I still had horrible cramping with M in semi formed stools. I started seeing a GP who put me on Flagyl simply based on my symptoms (which was NOT watery D). After I finish the Flagyl my symptoms were no better and maybe a little worse. Horrible fatigue and exhaustion. Asthma really flaring. I was referred to a GI doctor who ordered another stool test which came back positive for toxins. He put me on Dificid. I did really well on Dificid. Slowly started getting my energy back, but nowhere near normal. I went 4 weeks past Dificid and after a 5 mile jog I got really sick! Flu like symptoms! Within a week the horrible d with m and b was back. Tested positive again. I was put on a Vanco taper which led up to my FMT. The FMT was performed via colonoscopy and so far it has worked!! It’s been a miracle cure so far!! I am starting to get my appetite back and energy is coming back. I still have horrible days of fatigue, but they’re becoming less and less. My asthma is getting much better. My allergies are improving. I’m starting to have hope again. I’ve never dealt with anxiety before, but it’s been horrible through all of this. I still have a hard time dealing with crowds and people I’m not familiar with (so strange and totally opposite of me). It’s all been such a nightmare! I have days where I have hopes of a healthy future followed by days of hopelessness.

I am now 9 weeks since my FMT. I still have ups and downs. Days where my BM’s are very loose which is scary. My lower right side still has a constant burning sensation which has been there for the last 4 months or so. The difference now is the brain fog/dizziness and fatigue are much much better. I truly believe I’m in recovery. I am starting to jog again. I have hope that I will return closely to my old self again. One can hope.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”