Trim, 67 yr. old female

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Iby
Brand New Poster

Trim, 67 yr. old female

Postby Iby » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:20 pm

Hello, I got to c.diff a different, weird "antibiotics" way. January 6, 2017 I went in for an anterior left total hip replacement (THR). It went very well and I didn't even need one pain pill. Seven weeks later I got small shingles near my incision. A few days later another area near the incision. Then, a full blown out shingles covered the entire incision area from the inside of my groin all the way around to mid-buttock area! Not knowing much I thought it was all shingles pain. For 2 days neither leg "worked", then only my left leg. Pain became horrific and the area of the incision became very hard. I couldn't take it any more after 2 weeks so I went to a Derm Doctor and was told: yes, I had shingles and it was drying up but the hardness on my THR had nothing to do with it. I went directly to my scheduled appointment with my surgeon later the same day. He said it appeared I had a bad infection and was sent to the Lab area for an aspiration of the hip area. The result was that it was very aggravated and I was immediately admitted for surgery the next morning (March 3rd). To shorten this part, I had a surgery to clean out the infection with very aggressive antibiotic 'beads' placed inside my hip area, another surgery to take the 'beads' out and suture me back up, then went home (March 12th) followed with strong IV antibiotics for 6 weeks. My husband did all my IV solutions, then twice a day and a visiting nurse to change the dressing once a week. 10 days later I was really feeling ill, nausea, vomiting, low-grade fever, soft stools. I went to a nearby emergency and the ER Doc said I had anemia and to drink fluids and rest. As soon as I got home that evening (March 22nd), the D started and every 1/2 to 1 hour all night through the AM. I called my nurse and she said it sounded like c.diff. I was wiped out so we took the 2.5 hour trip to my hospital to that ER. By that time I had severe chills, a fever, even vomited water. The ER Doc said I had every symptom of c.diff including the smell. I was immediately admitted to my hospital and had their Infectious Disease Doctors come look at me the next day and start testing. They all thought I had c.diff. Again to shorten this part, after a myriad of tests, they came back negative. I was on Flagyl for 2 days at the time. I did not do well with Flagyl so they put me on IV Vancomycin. They waited 2 more days and sent my tests to one of their main hospitals that had a specialty department for c.diff. Those tests came back negative as well. I got worse. They decided to treat me as if I did have c.diff but after 7 more days with not much improvement I was sent home (April 1st) with the IV vancomycin as I still had to finish 5 more weeks of IV for my hip surgeon. I thought I was improving but 2 days later I got badly ill, first could eat a little then could not drink even water, and no food at all. I am thin so losing 17-19 pounds was major for me so saline solutions were added to my PICC line. I finished the IV on April 19th and had more tests done on the 21st as weak as I was. Well, a Doctor called me the next night, a Saturday evening, and told me I "did" have c.diff. Since I was off of antibiotics for 2.5 days, the tests finally showed a positive result! Again I thought I was improving, again, so my PA in charge said to let this ride for a week unless something changes. In only 4 days, the mighty D came back and worse then ever before. I called my PA and he ordered oral vancomycin for 2 weeks. My local pharma had to special order it and since it was a Friday, I couldn't get it until Monday night! That was the worst 3 days ever...but, within 3 days of vancomycin and doubling both my yeast probiotics and the bacterial probiotics (these probiotics are musts especially for those who have had at least one relapse as I did), I saw major improvement. My appetite was back, I was thirsty. I finished the vancomycin on May 15th, and had 2 weeks free of antibiotics before my PA put me on Cefadroxil (May 30th) since my hip surgeon wants me on 4-6 months of antibiotics before he does my other THR! So, yes, I will continue all of the probiotics during this time and pray I have cleared this issue. I have been clear of c.diff about 3 weeks, gained 3/4 of my weight back, and doing some exercising after being bedridden for about 3 months. I got the Shingles Zoster vaccine. My hip is doing well also...I will update if there are any changes.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”