James' case history- Clindamycin induced c.diff

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
James
New User

James' case history- Clindamycin induced c.diff

Postby James » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:44 pm

I was diagnosed by the hospital ER physician with c.diff 9 days ago, confirmed by testing the sample taken at the ER. With 8 days of Metronidazole (Flagyl 500 mg 3x/day), my stool has returned to nearly normal.

This started with a bad tooth on 2/24 and a root canal on 2/27. After 6 days on Amoxicillin, I still had an infection and was switched to Clindamycin 300 mg 3x/day for 10 days (through 3/17). That took care of my tooth. Seven days later the diarrhea started (3/24). Saturday night, 3/25, my wife took me to the ER and I got 1.5 liters of fluid IV (it took three tries to get the IV needle in), and based on my incorrect recollection that I had been off antibiotics 2 or 3 days, and that I tested negative for the flu, the doctor started me on Flagyl for c.diff. Monday the ER doctor called to confirm the test on my stool sample was positive for c.diff.

I saw my physician on Wed 3/29 and reported that I was doing better except for a persistent pain in my upper right abdomen. She stated that was not directly caused by the c.diff but that pain at that location might be related to the gall bladder and gall stones, and she ordered a liver function blood test.

I don’t have the liver function test results yet but the pain persists. My physician told me the next step would be an ultrasound on the gallbladder to check for gall stones. She said the gall bladder and pancreas can be impacted by an ‘event’ like c.diff.

I’m going to call tomorrow for the blood test results and ‘gall bladder pain’.

I took my son to the same dentist that had done my root canal and informed him of my condition. He did not seem to be familiar with c.diff or the risk associated with Clindamycin. I’m going to make sure he gets the information.

I’m still on rice, toast, and crackers diet, and now with eggs, and I’ve been taking Acidophilus. As I stated at the beginning, the results have been good. I have two more days on Flagyl. I’m going to look around and see if there is anything else besides Acidophilus available locally that I can assist in re-populating my digestive track with after the antibiotics are finished.

James 4/2/2006

James
New User

Thrush- white patches in mouth and throat

Postby James » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:44 am

Today is the last day of Flagyl. I now have thrush- white yellow patches on my tounge and roof of my mouth that are tender and make it even harder to eat, another antibiotic induced microbial infection. So I'm going back to the doctor for that. My abdomen seems more swollen- I'm always feeling full and bloated and at the same time hungry.

Also today I'm scheduled for ultrasound to check my gall bladder.

I wonder if I'll ever smell the same again? All these antibiotics have changed the flora in my armpits and on my skin, and any odor that develops during the day is unfamiliar.

James
New User

Things are looking better

Postby James » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:40 pm

It's the first day off Flagyl. Ultrasound found my gallbladder, liver, and kidneys all in good shape, as did the blood work. That's the good news and the bad news. It means there's no other explanation for the persistent pain in my abdomen, and that I'll just have to be patient for it to get better.

I've lost 15 pounds, but my belly is as big as ever!

I found Culturelle at Walgreens for $19.99 for 30 tablets. Is it worth 10 times as much as Acidolphilus?

I'll post this in the General Discussion forum

James
New User

Recovery going well

Postby James » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:01 am

This is my third day off Flagyl. I'm still taking Clotrimazole for the oral thrush, and that is getting better as well. It felt like I had a poorly fitting retainer glued to the roof of my mouth for a few days. I have been steadily adding to my diet, adding new things in small portions, and I have not had any proplems, including adding portions of meat.

The abdominal pain has diminished and is only mildly annoying. I'm back at work and worked a full day yesterday. I'm taking culturelle 2 or 3 times a day.

James
New User

More good news

Postby James » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:25 am

Seven days off Flagys now and no symptoms of recurrence. It was six days after the Clindamycin that the the firt attack occurred. I've been able to get my diet pretty much back to normal. I'm going to try to keep off the 10 pounds I lost .

The oral thrush has cleared up. I'm taking Culturelle 2x per day, and mixing the powder from one capsule in with yogurt to help with the oral flora. Hopefully, this is the last you'll here from me! Assuming there is no relapse in the next week, you can point people to my case history for the good news that this infection is sometimes sucessfully treated with one ten day treatment with Flagyl and with pro-biotics.

This web site has been a great help in understanding, treating, and managing my c.diff recovery. Thanks to all.

Jim

James
New User

Eight weeks, no recurrence

Postby James » Tue May 30, 2006 10:13 pm

It has been eight weeks since I went off flagyl, and I've had no recurrence of c.diff. I had one 'scare' when I was travelling, but it cleared up on its own in less than 24 hours. I've stopped taking the Culturelle, and not noticed any difference.

Everything is not back to the way it was- bowel movements are more irregular, usually some mucous (that was never there before), still intermittent minor abdominal pain in the area of the gall bladder, and I'm 10 pounds lighter (having put back on 5 pounds). I'll review these minor symptoms with my doctor, but overall, I'm healthy and recovered. I do expect that I would be at risk taking antibiotics again.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”