Nichole's case history

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Nichole's case history

Postby nsewell » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:08 pm

About one year ago I helped take care of my aunt dying of leukemia and kept getting sinus infection from her smoking(Im allergic to smoke). They put me on three different meds for that. Took care of that and seemed fine. Then my aunt had to go into a nursing home for a week til she died. Still seemed fine for quite awhile. Then felt something wrong middle of April 05. Went to doctor May 2, 05. She just kept saying that it was gas and gas pains. I kept bugging her finally did a stool test and July 3, 05 they called and told me I had c-diff and need meds. The doc on call that day put me on the Flagyl for 10 days (which made me feel like I had the flu) he said it should take of the bacteria. He said I probably ingested a spore and that was how I got it. ( So we will never know.) Still was not getting better so called my neighbor who works at the Endoscopy Center. She said I should get in to the GI doc she works for. Went to see the doc he put me on Vanco 125mg 4/day for week then 3/day for week and so on. Did not work so he did a colonoscopy and said its still c-diff and the colitis. Went back on Vanco, two months later I had another scope- still c-diff. Put my miligrams up to 250 4/day for two weeks did another scope and was all in the clear. Felt great!! So he had me do the 125mg 4/day for month then 3/day for month and so on. I started getting the mushy stools and pain again and they said its probably IBS. I said no I know its the c-diff so I am now on the 250 4/day and Florastor 2xday. I also started myself on Primal Defense and now Kefir. The reason I had the colonoscopies was that was the only way he could diagnose me. Stool cultures were ALWAY a false negative! During all this I also never had the bad diareah just the mushy orange stools.

So this is where I am today. Been on the Vanco 250mg 4/day for almost three weeks now. Getting ready to do the pulsing soon and getting scared to death. I hope it all goes well this time. Also have made an appointment with another GI in April that has done the infuion a couple times just incase this pulsing doesnt work.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:09 pm

I forgot to mention all themeds I was prior to this monster. First Tetracycline for a little acne on my neck, then for sinuses Augmentin for two weeks, then Levaquin, then Zithromax twice!! All this in a matter of 2-3 months. I am so mad after realizing this!! That doc just kept putting me on meds and I had no idea about c-diff! Now to find out that sinus infection usually isnt even bacterial!

I am getting ready to start the pulsing for the first time in a few days. I will update later and let you know how its going.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:37 pm

Well the doctors didnt want me doing the pulsing regimen on this site. They had one they wanted me to do. 250mg's 2/day and only everyother day!. After being on 250mg's 4/day that is a big drop. I am mad I wanted to try Laurens. I am now going to the bathroom more and constantly feel like I have to go. Have cramping and pain again and the wonderful hemroids have flared up.
He said if my stools change in the next two week then he wants to do some more stool tests! AND that it can still come back positive while Im on Vanco. Also wants to check for other parasites and bugs. My gosh I think its time he talks to a special ist on c-diff. I will write again when things change.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:43 pm

I forgot to mention i get real nautious now and didnt before.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:26 am

OK now I did his regimen for a while but had to up it to three everyother day. Now yesterday I went to see a different GI doctor that has done the infusion 2 times, and both were cured. First thing he asked me was if I tried the pulsing method! I said no, the other doctor didnt want me doing that , and they work in the same office, I guess they dont consult with each other. I really felt good when I left his office. he seemed to know alot about c-diff. He consults with Deluth ,Minn. Anyways, he said hes sure I have ibs to from the c-diff. He also said you dont get a stool test done while your on the MEDS!! I was shocked! So I will try his method and if it doesnt work then once we get a poitive test for c-diff then hell either do an IV globin thing or the infusion. The iv deal has a 85% cure rate and his infusion so far has been 100%, and at the Deluth clinic out of 17, 15 have been cured. I will let you know how things are going once I get further into it all.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Thu May 04, 2006 8:49 am

Ok now just a little update. I did the 250 mgs 2/day and am now on the second day of 1 per day. I actually feel quite well. Im kinda scared to be positive about this thing but its hard not too when I feel like im actually beating it. Next I go to 1 everyother day then every third day, and then the gross cholestyramine four times a day for four weeks!! And its even a full scoop. Oh well if it makes me better I would do anything. I still go every morning and sometimes again later. Somedays though I only go once. Others I feel like I could go even more. Im sure I also have IBS, cause sometimes after I eat I have to- (thats usually the second time I go). I still get the occaision pain on my left side, but not near as bad as when I first got this thing. I also get gas but I think that goes with the IBS, and things I eat. I also started working out at the YMCA about a month ago and I really feel that helps physically and mentally. It even kinda helps with the pain when I get it. Ive had four c-sections and never did anything to get my stomach muscles back- so sometimes I think some of the pain is from that- since it helps to work out whenI hurt. I am also taking FLorastor 2/day and 1 culturelle. I will update agian when I get into the next dose or the one after that. I dont know what I would do without this site cause I was getting ready to go crazy right before I found you all.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue May 23, 2006 9:39 pm

OK now my bm's starting getting real loose and mucusy, so my doctor is having me start the cholestyramine now. I take it 4/day for 4 weeks. I am also taking the FLorastor , Culturelle, and started the Primal Defense today. I am done with the Vanco. I get occasional pains and cramping but I am gonna stay with this regimen for at least a week and see what happens. I havent had the urges lately that I had been having or the gurgling in my stomach. Just trying to stay positive about it all-which is hard.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Sun May 28, 2006 8:18 pm

Well I think I've relapsed. Have'nt felt like myself for about a week. Been off Vanvo for 6 days and just been doing the cholstyramine. Started getting bad pain and cramping and alot looser stools so I have officially started the Vanco again. But it is not working yet. I am unable to hold anything in me. Feels like the flu. And oh Boy the hemmrroids on top of that! I'm so sick of all this. I am calling my doctor on Tuesday. He'll be upset I started the Vanco again but I had to! He wanted to do some testing when I got bad--Well it's a long weekend and I wasnt waiting. He will want to try a new treatment, so We'll see, and I'll let you all know what that is. This is getting so depressing! I am gonna bring up the infusion to him again too.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Mon May 29, 2006 8:41 am

I know in my gut that it's c-diff. I have been going alot more and this morning nothing but blood and mucus. Today very weak and shaky. I am going to up my Vanco if I start to go to much today.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue May 30, 2006 8:23 pm

Now my nurse calls today and says the doctor thinks I have SIBO and he's put me on Xifaxin. I know in my heart I have c-diff. I started the new med tonight and will give it til Friday which is only 3 days away. If I canmake it that long. I had a bad relapse this last weekend and still have some pain so whose knows how long I'll make it without the Vanco. I will keep you all posted though as much as I can. I probably won't be able to be on here as much. I've heard the side effects are as bad as the Flagyl, YIPPY

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:01 am

Well so far I've had no side efffects. Just the icky taste in the mouth once in awhile. I'm doing pretty good on it. No different than the Vanco so far. The plan is to be on it for 10 day then try to taper off, so we'll see. I'll check in again further down the road.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:37 am

Well I'm still on the Rifaxan. Today is day 7 1/2. I'm doing really good. Finally normal bm's! I Even ate pizza. tacos, and cake! My doctor called yesterday and said he wants to see me today, so I'm nervous. I suppose to see how I'm doing on this med since its in trials. I'm nervous to stop this med on Friday. I think I like this med better than the Vanco so far. I was on Vanco for a year so it's nice to be able to take something else. I will write after my appointment and let you all know what he thinks is going on.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:10 pm

Well seen the doctor. He wants to keep me on the Xifaxin for 20 more day 2/day. He says if I get the symptoms back then it's time to test and if we get a positive result he will do the fecal infusion himself. He says he's pretty confident the symptoms won't come back. Ya right, the pain is already starting and stools are changing. Today is 2 weeks on this new med. I had a really good 10 days even my hemmrroids seem to disappear. First break from them in over a year but guess what?!! Their back!! If thats what it is, i'm starting to wonder. Tomorrow I will be calling the doctor if I feel the same. One more thing he keeps saying he's sure I have IBS, well wouldnt the hemmrroids go away??

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:33 pm

Well here I am again. WAITING!! I am now finished with the Xifaxan. I still have some pain and now today have had 3 bm's which is unusual lately. I have to be off this med for 5 days with a loose stool to test. I think I have some colitis going on. I just don't know the difference between that and pain from IBS. I guess I'll wait and see how I am next week if the pain doesnt get worse.

nsewell
Long Time Contributor

Postby nsewell » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:47 pm

So I ve been off all meds for awhile now. 11 days off Xifaxan and 31 off the vanco. I have been getting a little pain but no D. My doctor is gonna scope me next week to see if anythings going on. I just would feel better about being diagnosed with IBS if he actually looks and sees nothing else. I really dont think I have c-diff right now, but some of my symptoms get me nervous sometimes. But they do come and go, so I guess we'll see soon. I will write after the scope and tell what he sees.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”