Kate's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
kko03001
New User

Kate's Case History

Postby kko03001 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:13 pm

I am a 27 year-old-female, unfortunately with a long history of required antibiotics. I had chronic strep throat and bronchitis as a child. When I got to college, I began having UTIs, always coinciding with finals, of course. During my master's degree, I had a case of strep that wouldn't go away, and required IV antibiotics and was placed on clindamycin. I've consistently had UTIs and kidney infections since I was 18, and for the past three years, have been prescribed cipro every time (usually 500mg/2x day for 5 days).
In December 2005, I was diagnosed with a kidney infection. I was unable to see my regular doctor at the university health center, and another doctor prescribed me Cipro 500mg/2x day for ten days. I questioned the doctor at the time about the length of the course of antibiotics--he said that it was serious and I needed to stay on it for the entire ten days. I should have questioned his judgement when the pharmacist told me that he wrote the prescription wrong, but he is the Medical Director of the university's student clinic, so I just went ahead with the course.
After about day seven of the antibiotics, I started having diarrhea, but it went away by day ten. Two days after the last day of Cipro, I began having stomach pain, bloating, and constipation. I went to the emergency room and they diagnosed me with Gastritis because I was not presenting with the most obvious symptom. After seven days of Protonix for Gastritis, I was feeling worse, went back to the university health center, where I was forced to see the same doctor who prescribed me the Cipro. He first said that it was probably in my head because I was stressed out over my Ph.D. exams. I asked him to look at my stomach, which was completely distended despite the fact that I hadn't eaten in days; at that point he suggested that I might be allergic to the Protonix. I begged him to send me to a gastroenterologist, and he did so "as a favor" (his words!).
The GI doc diagnosed me with C. diff, and I was prescribed metronidazole 500mg/3x day for ten days. My GI told me that in about 5% of cases, the patient can present with constipation rather than diarrhea, and I was one of the lucky few. I felt better almost immediately. However, on the last day of the metronidazole, I began having diarrhea (the first time during all of this since day 7 of the Cipro!), and was prescribed another ten days. The following day, I was feeling much worse, so I was scheduled for a colonoscopy, which came out clean and the stool sample was negative. I was told that I didn't have to finish the additional 10 days of metronidazole (by this point I had been on it for fourteen days). I've had lost of digestive issues, but as of now, I've gained back 5 lb. of the 15 lbs. I lost, and no symptoms of the C. diff.
I'm now taking cranberry extract pills for prevention of UTIs, acidophilus, and keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't come back.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”