Where I'm at in this battle

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
kelseym
Regular User

Where I'm at in this battle

Postby kelseym » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:31 pm

I joined this site in October of 2014 when I was first diagnosed with cdiff. I was 33, otherwise pretty healthy. I was on amoxicillan for a UTI, after 5 days it wasn't working so I was switched to Cipro. I had a tubal ligation performed in which they gave me a bag of IV antibiotics and Diflucan for a yeast infection. I finished my cipro after the procedure. (Perfect storm or what?) I started to get looser stools, mucus, urgency etc - it was about 15 days before I went to the PCP and they ran O&P, and all that plus the c diff (ELISA I believe) It came back positive, Flagyl for 14 days 3 x's a day. I took florastor and a multitude of other probiotics as well for 3 weeks after. I was cured, but dealt with IBS and constant fear of relapse, I ended up with a great GI - tested negative on PCR for toxin B gene 3 or 4 times.

Then in Sept of 2015 I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer. (No fam history of any cancer really, pretty young for that, I honeslty think it was c diff and my immune system knocked down) I am not a candidate for radiation due to a heart condition. I had a dbl mastectomy with a 2 stage reconstruction, (IV antibiotics and 7 days of Keflex 4 times a day) and what do you know... I was prepared this time though. I went to my PCP right away and they went ahead and started me on Flagyl 3 x's a day for 14 days again while waiting for my stool studies. Lab quest ran the wrong test - they didn't do the c diff test but something else so I'm not entirely sure I had it back (the orange color, urgency etc, I'm pretty sure). 3 days off Flagyl I started to feel really tired, cold all the time, hips aching like nothing I've ever felt (not how I felt the first cpl of times with C diff) and the the green mucous D started (again not had that before), tested pos with the GI - PCR toxin b gene test. They put me on a vanco taper + pulse, 14 days of 4 x's a day 125mg, 7 days 2 x's a day, 7 days 1 a day, 14 days every other day an 15 days of every 3 days. I took 2 250 mg florastor 2 times a day (1000mg), 1 culterelle, one other walgreens brand probitioc, I packet of VSL #3DS (900 billion), 80 billion ultimtate flora critical colon care, and a vitamin shoppe brand probitioc daily. I added in 1 packet of Entereagm around the every other day drop down. I kept up the probiotics and slowly was stair stepping them down to not insane levels.

Every time I dropped down on the vanco taper, I would start to feel ill and achy - get some yellow looser stool etc, but it always got better.

I have been off ABX for almost 4 weeks. This last week has been rough - the color is more yellowy - the TERRIBLE intestinal sounds, a little M and D but not much. I just tested neg 2 days ago again by PCR. I bumped up the probiotics again but am nervous. I have gotten 3 colds i nthe last 5 weeks and they all take FOREVER to go away.

I have a second stage reconstruction set for March 22nd (IV ABX again) and even if I'm clear now I'm scared I wont be after that. I'm scared that bc I have been on ABX basically since October that I will get cancer again since my immune system is down.

I have 2 dificid scrips filled since I had used up all my ded last year and got it so cheap, the dr just wrote it for me to have. I have had a consult with Dr. Orenstein at Mayo Clinic Phoenix for FMT should I relapse again after my surgery as that is the route I would take.

Just sharing my story here, this site has been a blessing over the last year and a half for me as I read through posts about the same questions I have. Thank you all and everything you've been through.

Kelsey

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”