My story with Cdiff

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
georgina
Long Time Contributor

My story with Cdiff

Postby georgina » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:51 am

Hi guys
I'm Georgiana , a 30 years old nurse from Romania and i decided to share my story with you.
I ended up with this awful bug in april this year.It was before Easter when the all staff from the departament of surgery where i work were called in for a chest X-ray because one of my colleague was sick and diagnosed with TB .It seemed that my X-ray showed a nodular image ( a lump with 8mm diam.) that they have thought that is TB related.I wasn't sick , no symptome of TB and i am a smoker and i didn't even cough.My sputum was bacteriologically negative (microscopic and culture negative for Mycobacterium tuberculosis ) and bronhoscopy negative but still they wanted to strart the treatment.In my 4-th day of anti-TB meds i developed D with M , lost of pain and flu-like symptomes and depression/anxiety.I submitted a stool sample for CDiff and it was positive for toxins A/B.I was treated first with metronidazole but no improvemment and the i got switched to Vanco.So my doctor paused the TB meds and started the 3 weeks Vanco taper.After the taper i started to take probiotics and i restarted the TB meds (12 antibiotics a day).In may i had my wedding , but this bug actually took that away from me too ,as i was in early recovery and i was still feeling tired and was always having the feeling that i have to go even if i didn't and abdominal noises. So , no fun at my wedding and no honeymoon!! I felt like that for a month , i thought that i was ok but one day D hit again.This time the symptomes were mild and intermitent.I submitted 3 stool samples and they were negative and then i submitted one more after a week and it came back positive.I was heartbroken.So back on Vanco for another 2 months taper and pulse (this time I was not allowed to interrupt the TB treatment).I felt ok on vanco , but when i got down to 125mg/day i started havin symptomes again.I decided to cut out vanco since it wasn't doing much for me and decided to do the home infusions with my husband as my donor (i checked his stool for GDH,parasites and culture for other pathogens and it was clear).I did 20 home enemas and after ii finished those i started taking bentonite clay to help firm uup the stool.In the meantime my lungs doctor told me (after 5 months of treatment) that she doesn't think i had TB because the X-ray looks exactly like the one i had in april and maybe the lump is due to a pneumonia or that if i had indeed TB i was cured before the treatment started.I will never know what happend, so , lucky me!!
Now it's been 7 weeks since my last dose of vanco and 3 weeks since my last enema and i'm still having issues still unable to eat much.I pray to God every day that it will pass and i will have my life again.I really hope that the experts will find a real cure for this for this terrible bacteria.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: My story with Cdiff, update

Postby georgina » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:26 am

Bad news.
Had some symptomes (3-4 looser stools , mild cramping and gurgling) and thought that maybe it's time to submit a test for peace of mind.It came back positive for toxins so now i'm struggling with the beast for the fourth time and trying not to give up.I'm going next week to see my infectiouse disease doctor to talk about a naso-gastric infusion.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: My story with Cdiff

Postby georgina » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Just thought to give an update.I had my naso-gastric infusion two days ago .It wasn't fun but hopefully it will be my cure.The doctor that performed the infusion didn't want me to take Vanco and only prep with a good clense like the one that you do for colonoscopy.Right now i'm holding my breath and hope for the best.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”