Tracy's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
TracyLou
Contributor

Tracy's Case History

Postby TracyLou » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:57 pm

It all started with me in May 2005 , prior to this I had to have a root canal because of an absess tooth. I was first prescribed Amoxicillan which did not clear up infection, then Clindamycin which did clear up infection. I actually took these in February 2005 but immediately following had a UTI and upper respiratory infection and took both Microbid and Zithromax back to back which led me through March and part of April. I didn't get sick until mid May but my GI told me that taking that many antibiotics so close together wore my system down and killed anything good left in my colon. I don't think my case has been near as severe as others but it's has changed my life and whole way of thinking. I spent a day in the ER getting CT scan, blood work, and stool samples done and that's how they found out it was c-diff. Started on a round of Flagyl and broke out from head to toe in hives and was then switched to Vanco. It took two rounds of Vanco to finally get a hold on this. I had another stool test done approximately three weeks after I finished my last round of Vanco that came back negative.

At this point I am in a state of IBS or at least this is what my GI, whom I think is an excellent doctor, seems to think based on my symptoms. I have good days and bad days. The good days now out-weigh the bad days and I have done fairly well for the past few weeks (knock on wood). I take a Flora-Q probiotic daily and Rubinol Forte daily. The Rubinol Forte helps keep the muscle contractions in the stomach down. I think it has help a good bit with the IBS. If I were to start having symptoms more frequently or start having the big "D" a lot again he is going to do a colonoscopy. But right now things seem pretty good and I think I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

With that being said I can say my whole outlook on life will never be the same. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. I don't seem to take the things for granted that I use to, but I find things make me more nervous than they use to. I can tell with proper diet I feel better and keeping myself very busy helps a lot too. I really believe keeping busy alleviates or minimizes the symptoms. Luckily I have a 12 year old and 8 year old that keep me on the go with all their activities. I also have a good support system at the hospital where I work too. Best wishes to all and God bless everyone that has to deal with this!

TracyLou
Contributor

One Year Anniversary

Postby TracyLou » Wed May 24, 2006 10:11 am

It was one year ago today that I found out I had c-diff. Had I known back then what this one word would do to my outlook on life and what I would experience for the next year, I honestly don't know if I would have survived. Fortunately, I just took it day by day to try to get some normalcy back in my life and routine. Although I consider myself cured of c-diff I have continued to have bouts with IBS symptoms but they seem to be lessening with each day. It's been trial and error with meds and I have also been able to lessen taking them as well. Flora-Q has been the probiotic that has helped keep things in check for me. I also don't fear c-diff as much as I did. I decided a while back that I wouldn't let it rule me and dictate what I could or couldn't do. I actually enjoy going out to dinner again! This site has been the biggest help of all. I realized how much worse it could have been and thank God for watching over me. The courage and determination of everyone here experiencing this dreaded illness has been my inspiration the beat this. My hope is that one day soon we will have a cure or vaccine to rid this beast for good. I want to let everyone know there is light at the end of the tunnel and you will reach it.

Take care & God bless,
Tracy

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”