Dwain's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Dwain Sparks
Brand New Poster

Dwain's Case History

Postby Dwain Sparks » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:28 pm

Until I read an article in the paper the other day I had no idea that other people had been having the same problems, I thought it was a reaction to the Vancomycin. This prompted me to search the Web to see what was happening to other people, Wow what an eye opener, now I know what has been happening to me the last 13 years.
In 1993 at age 52, I was doing some heavy lifting and ruptured my colon, and had to have part of my colon removed and was put on seven different antibiotics to kill the infection before surgery. I was recovering from the surgery in good shape till I came down with a bad case of diarrhea, my doctor was out of town for a week so I tried to wait till he got back. The diarrhea got to the point to where I was going to the bathroom every hour, 24 hours a day and the pain was so excruciating that I had to go to another doctor and was put back in the hospital with C-diff. infection.
I was put on vancomycin which cleared up the C-diff. infection but left me with the flue like symptoms for the next five years, Head ache, stomach cramps, fatigue, unable to sleep and the worst thing of all was the mental confusion which left me unable to work. I went to doctors all over the state of Washington trying to find out what was going on but no one could help me, not even to collect on my long term disability because they did not know what was happening. They put me on antidepressants which made my mental confusion even worse then tried to get me to go to a psychiatrist, I refused.
I lost my job and with no income I had to cash in my retirement for living expenses and was forced into bankruptcy to pay medical bills.
I researched every thing I could and came up with using a high enema to flush the colon every three to four days to relieve some off the symptoms but that was only temporary relief. Then one day my sister brought me a magnetic mattress and pillow to try which helped clear some of the fog in my head helped me get some sleep, Though it took several day before I could sleep on it all night, but did not relieve the stomach cramps.
Every vitamin company that had a product that was supposed to build stomach flora I tried, but to no avail. After five years I was introduced to a company that sold a product called L. Salivarius. I was put on a heavy dose for two days which cleared up my mental fog and eliminated the stomach cramps. I felt my life had been given back to me.
I was able to get a job and go back to work in 1998, I still sleep on the magnetic mattress, take two spoonfuls of Metamucil every day and take a maintenance dose of L. Salivarius when I get stomach cramps about once a week. Do you ever get over it?
C-Diff Sufferor

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”