Addison, Randy & Desiree's Case History

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Randy L.
New User

Addison, Randy & Desiree's Case History

Postby Randy L. » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:04 am

OK. a family of three here, all of whom have had c-diff. My son was the first to test positive. He is 2.5 yrs. old, and appeared to have caught it on a trip to visit my grandmother in her home prior to her passing away (she was positive for c-diff). Had I known about this aweful 'disease' I would have surely not went anywhere near it!! This was in August of 2005. My son has had the bug ever since, relapsing on the 4th day after finishing Metron 1st round 10 days; Vanco and Rifampin second round - 7 days; and 4 weeks of tapered doses of Metron third round. Took him to the ID DR. at Children's Hospital here in columbus, OH today and he was prescribed another two weeks of metron (20mg - 2ml) once a day and cholestyramine twice a day (resin powder - 1/4 scoop). Keep your fingers crossed......

Desiree (wife)...tested positive in sept 2005, must have caught it through diaper changes? But don't know because we have been obsessive compulsive cleaners. took 10 days of Metron. and have not had any symptoms since. Has not been tested to verify.

Randy...tested positive in early November 2005 after being on Cipro for a bacterial infection causing acne. had moderate bm's 5-6 x daily with mucous, no blood. Took metron for 10 day supply in late November and have not had any real symptoms since. Feel a little gassier than normal, but no diahrea and definately no mucous. Have not ben tested to verify. I plan on setting up the appointment this week to get tested for verification.

All my attention has turned to my son. He is now down to 1-2 bm's a day, little mucous, but firm stools. I pray every day that the final round of cholestyrmine and Metronid. will finally kick it for him. He has also been taking Florastor ( they now make a kids formula that I highly recomend. Has the same 5 billion count, but in a packet that disolves very quickly and is tutti frutti flavored). I f anyone has had a son/daughter that has had similar experiences, please share them with me.

Randy L.
New User

additional info...

Postby Randy L. » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:16 am

I am 28 yrs. old, desiree is 24 yrs. old. Also wanted to add that none of us experienced fever with the c-diff symptoms. Addison is the only one that had slight blood in his stools. I was hoping that since we both kicked the symptoms very quickly that he had the same strain and that he would have a similar short bout. That has not been the case. Is it that much harder to get rid of because he is so young? I can not stand for him to have this much longer!

Randy L.
New User

Jan 7 2005

Postby Randy L. » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Well, I am extremely hopeful this morning...Addison had the best BM that I have seen from him in months, well-formed with no mucous or traces of blood! He bagan his treatment of 2ml 20mg a day flagyl, cholestyramine and his continued Florastor supplement last night. I hope this is it. 2 more weeks of this regime.

Randy L.
New User

January 8

Postby Randy L. » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:40 am

Jan 8 9:30 am - One day later than previous post and Addison has not had a BM since yesterday morning! 4 days ago he was having 5-10 a day, so this is quite promising. He ate a king size breakfast this morning, appetite seems to be doing better. The regime we have set up that he is on his third day of......

8am- Flagyl 20mg - 2ml + Florastor
noon- Cholestyramin
5pm- Florastor
9pm Cholestyramin

This is his third round of flagyl and his lowest dosage, last four weeks he tapered...Keep your fingers crossed!

Randy L.
New User

Update!

Postby Randy L. » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:29 am

Since my last report.....Addison has now been off Metron. and cholestrymine for 3 weeks now, and I am ecstatic to report that he has not had any symptoms. We continue to give Florastor for Kids twice a day and one DanActive yogurt drink every morning. I was tested and tested normal last week!! I have also been drinking the DanActive's. I beleive it really has been the difference maker in Addison and my overcoming this 'disease'. I highly recomend it for all. The symptoms may be gone, but the living in fear continues. Every time my son has a BM it scares me to what I might find in his diaper. I will continue to report to this site, as I think it is a great resource and has helped me through these times. I thank you all for your continueed support. Please keep your fingers crossed for Addison, I can't help but think I am jinxing his progress as I write :)

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”