Earle's story

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
earleyoung
New User

Earle's story

Postby earleyoung » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:10 am

I am an 80 year old male. I went to the ER in early August 2014 because of nausea and cramping. The doctor there saw blood in my stool, so he sent me to the hospital, where i was diagnosed with C diff. After a 4 day stay my blood count was back to normal so they sent me home, with a prescription for Flagyl. After 14 days on Flagyl there was no improvement (cramping, extreme fatigue, diarrhea, and loss of appetite. I went to my primary care doc and he prescribed vancomycin. Two weeks on vanco showed no improvement, so I went to a GI doctor who prescribed dificid. Dificid is a very expensive medication; $900 for a 10 day supply. Ten days later the C diff was gone, but not the 5-6 visits to the toiley. During this ordeal I lost 30 pounds. I am now trying to find out what I can and can't eat and what I can do to get my bowels back to normal. ANY help anyone can give me will be extremely welcome

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”