Colon cancer; temp ileo reversed; and c.Diff

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
JodyGM
New User

Colon cancer; temp ileo reversed; and c.Diff

Postby JodyGM » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:17 pm

Where to start.. I'm a 51 yo female. In Saskatchewan, our health care started colon cancer screening, I was diagnosed with colon cancer on feb 11,2013. I had 6 week radiation and oral chemo. I had colon surgery in jun 2013, which resulted with a temporary ileostomy. I had chemo by iv from July to mid-nov. Had blood clots in my lungs in oct. Recouped and had my ileo reversal surgery (yayy, still very thankful to get rid of my little buddy) in April 2014. Ten days later, while still in hospital, I was diagnosed with c.Diff. Spent five more days in isolation. Was discharged may 6th. Never in my wildest dreams would I ever have thought I'd still be fighting this damn disease three months later. I had two weeks flagyl, about six days later I started two weeks vancomycin. About five days later I started the six weeks taper off vancomycin. My very last pill was Saturday. Sunday, Monday I didn't feel well. Today it's an all out blow-out! Feel like I'm back to square one. :'(

I am such a high risk patient. Female, older, taking meds for acid reflux/hiatus hernia, and then chemo on top of it.
I'm just nicely off warfarin and tapering off lyrica that I was taking for chemo induced peripheral neuropathy. Sometimes cutting back on that makes me feel pretty rough.

Today, my family doctor is contacting the infectious control doctor regarding the fecal transplant, so I'm here to surf the boards and get some info on that. I'm left wondering when does it end? I felt like I was getting better, had camping plans, was even on our pontoon Saturday afternoon for a ride! But today it's all for naught!

JodyGM
New User

Re: Colon cancer; temp ileo reversed; and c.Diff

Postby JodyGM » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Unread postby JodyGM » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:58 am

Time Marches On.
I've had bouts of diarrhea off and on since then. The doctor never did OK me to do the fecal transplant OR take poop pills. And today, I'm off to the city to have another colonoscopy. My surgeon is concerned about some issues I've been having with my rectum. It happens mostly in the evening, its like cramps.? spasms.? I'm not sure how to explain it, but from supper to bed-time, I'll be in and out of the bathroom up to 5 times, and by the time it's over, my bum is bleeding. I get a cramp, feel like I have to poop and can't. If you remember, I've had colon cancer, had a temporary bag and was re-attached April 2014--which is when I got c.diff.

I tell people the C. Diff is so much more worse than having colon cancer.

so this colonoscopy tomorrow has me worried.
1) hoping he finds something that will explain all the problems and pain I'm having.
2) been losing sleep over worrying about getting C.Diff again--but there's not much I can do about it.

Honestly, its been almost two years since I was diagnosed with cancer, had the radiation, oral chemo, surgery w/the temp bag, more chemo, by IV this time, another surgery THEN c.diff! ...at this point in my life, all I want is some peace and quiet, get back to work (I'm a realtor, so I have to be able to leave the office at a moment's notice, for pity's sake!) ..and get back to enjoying life! Please God, that's all I ask.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”