10 months post CDIFF

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
ppp67
Regular Contributor

10 months post CDIFF

Postby ppp67 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Just providing an update.

I consider myself part of the lucky majority who seems to have responded well after two rounds of treatment (Flagyl, then oral vancocin). The first couple of weeks I was very cautious with what I ate, but, eventually added items back bit by bit. And ALWAYS washed my hands -- always. Most of the time I feel great but I won't say that I'm 100% recovered. I'm sure most of you can relate. And no, my bathroom visits pre-CDIFF were better then they are now. There is a difference; therefore, you can't say I'm 100% back to normal.

Recently, I had a cold and my ears became plugged and I experienced some hearing loss. I went to the doctor who diagnosed a slight ear infection. He was prescribing an antibiotic for me when I said, "Please, no. I've had C-DIFF and I don't want to risk a relapse." I told him I was taking probiotics (1 50-million capsule per day). When I tried stopping a few weeks back, it seemed I was slowly getting worse. Not CDIFF, but my stomach felt, well, it didn't feel right. And my bathroom trips were getting more frequent and wetter. So I went back on the probiotics. Thinking back, my bad days may be due to eating & drinking foods that didn't agree with me. I just don't know. Was this all in my head?

My doctor suggested that I stop the probiotics cold-turkey for 1 month and see how it goes. He'd like me to keep track of things. So far, its only been three days but I'm worried. Do you think I'm justified in worrying?

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”