Glad to find a support group

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Katlynn
Brand New Poster

Glad to find a support group

Postby Katlynn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:30 am

Postby Katlynn » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:39 pm
I am a 55 year old woman who sustained a puncture injury to my hand on March 17th, 2014. I got a severe bacterial infection in my hand, then spent a 5 days in the hospital, had two surgeries, and was on massive doses of IV clindamycin, and 2 other antibiotics. I went home with a 2 week supply of oral clindamycin. A week after I took the last clindamycin, April 10th, I thought I had a severe stomach flu, horrible stomach and colon cramps, the worst D I've ever had, fever of 103, chills, nausea, dehydration, etc. I went into the hospital and was diagnosed with C Diff. This was the first I had ever heard of the disease. I spent a week in the hospital on IV Flagyll and Vanco and the other drugs needed to keep me alive. I went home with a two week supply of oral compound vanco every 6 hours. 5 days after taking the last of the vanco, I ended up back in the hospital, same symptoms, just less severe, as I recognized them early. I spent another week in the hospital on the same drugs as before. This time I came home with a 9 week supply of vanco, every 6 hours for 2 weeks, then tapering to every 12 hours for a week, etc. 3 days after tapering down to every 12 hours, the bloating, cramping, D, exhaustion, chills, leg cramps came back. I went to my primary care physician last Monday, who referred me back to infectious disease because he did not know how to help me at this point. Inf Disease Doc today put me back on vanco 4 times a day for four weeks. I have been out of work for 12 weeks now, and have no clue when I should expect to be able to go back.
I have some general questions and would love feedback, as I can't seem to get anyone to give me any real life knowledge about this disease. I know everyone's experience with C Diff is different, but if I can at least get an idea of what I'm dealing with I would appreciate it.
1. Does this disease cause total exhaustion, and how long does that last?
2. Is it typical to still be on this high dose of vanco after almost 2 months?
3. Is the stomach bloating after I eat anything typical and how long does that usually last?
4. Will I be battling this the rest of my life?
5. I am terrified that I will end up in the hospital again, as both times the severe symptoms came on me within hours, has this happened to anyone else?
6. How long have other people been unable to work?

Thank you in advance for any knowledge you impart.

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Re: Glad to find a support group

Postby code3rn » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:35 am

Katlynn- so incredibly sorry to hear how much you have been suffering! Yes, cdiff can cause extreme exhaustion. It is a debilitating infection on one of the largest organs of our bodies. I feel it affects the body both physically and mentally. And no, I don't believe you will have this for the rest of your life. There are other options available now besides vanco and flagyl. Dificid is a medication that has worked for some. There is also a fecal transplant procedure that has good success. It is what cured me after being on and off vanco for 6 months. Where are you located? There is an forum here that lists doctors who do the procedure. I have not personally had the bloating after eating, but maybe others can pitch in on their experience. Sometimes vanco and flagyl can cause side effects, or it could be just your body and cdiff. I pray you recover and heal very soon!

Katlynn
Brand New Poster

Re: Glad to find a support group

Postby Katlynn » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Thank you code3rn, I am in Arizona, and my gastro Dr does not do the fecal transplant but works with a Dr who does.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”