C diff after Lyme treatment

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
abnova
Regular User

C diff after Lyme treatment

Postby abnova » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:33 am

I took multiple antibiotics over a 2 month period for Lyme disease. I took so many different ones because I had bad reactions while on the first three I was prescribed. However, I still took each for about 1 week before discontinuing. The first three antibiotics were Doxycycline, Minocycline, and Amoxacillin. The remaining 5 weeks of treatment was with Clarithromycin.

Then 5 weeks after stopping my Lyme treatment, I started getting dizzy every so often for a few days and my lower back also began to have a mild burning pain which I now assume was referred pain from my colon. The next two days I felt as if the flu hit me full force...extremely fatigued but no fever. Then the next two days my stomach gurgled a ton and I had gas and minor pains, and my stools became looser/more frequent...but only one or two were watery and I never went more than 3 times in a day.

I alredy knew of the c diff risk and immediately suspected it with the unusual combination of symptoms. My Dr ordered the PCR test...it came back positive that evening and he prescribed Flagyl 500mg 3xday for 10 days. I noticed the next day my symptoms had improved on their own but I started the Flagyl anyway after rechecking with my Dr. My mild symptoms continued to improve over the 10 days...and then I actually began to become slightly constipated a few days after completing the Flagyl. But 14 days after the Flagyl, my mild symptoms again returned.

After another positive PCR 4 days ago, my Dr prescribed Vanco. I decided to give it a day to see if I started to improve again...and I did. I did not start the Vanco and my symptoms are still improving. Today I had one stool of normal consistency...but the c diff smell and color was still present. The only other symptoms at the present is the nagging burning lower back pain and some minor gas.

My Dr also referred me to a Gastroenterologist and I have an appt with him in two weeks. If my symptoms increase in the meantime, I will start the Vanco.

I believe my body may be able to fight this on it's own since the infection was mild...and perhaps the Flagyl was unnecessary to begin with and my body would have fought it off the first time.

I had taken probiotics, Florastor, and drank Kefir through my whole Lyme treatment and thereafter. I have increased them since the c diff diagnosis and added more things. I now take 1 packet of VSL3 (450 bill), 3 Florastor, Jarrowdophilus+FOS (50 bill), Primadophilus Reuteri (5 bill), Garden of Life Vaginal Care (50 bill), Culturelle (10 bill), and 1 teaspoon of Acacia gum prebiotic fiber every day. I also drink Kefir every day...and eat greek yogurt, fermented pickels/sauerkraut, and drink Kombucha several times a week.

An interesting observation I have made is the possibility of a connection with symptom flaring and menstruation. Both times my symptoms have come on coincided with the beginning of my period. This may be coincidental but I know that a woman's immune system can be affected by menstruation and the hormones involved. So there may be a real connection. I sometimes wonder if was colonized and for some reason, last month my immune system dropped too much just before my period and allowed the c diff to become a symptomatic infection...and then the same happened this month. I will update if it comes back with my cycle next month.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”