Case History, c.diff and pregnancy.

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
saraht
Long Time Contributor

Case History, c.diff and pregnancy.

Postby saraht » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:16 am

Hello all, I figured I would post my case history for everyone, and hope this can help anyone who is in a situation like I was. If anyone has any questions regarding my history of c.diff and pregnancy, please feel free to message me.

First diagnosed with c.diff at 23 due to taking Clindamycin for skin infection. The primary I had at the time had no idea there were other options to treat c.diff other than flagyl. I did several treatments of flagyl over a 6-7 month period, and relapsed every time I finished a treatment. Seen a GI who treated me with Vancomycin 4x a day for 14 days, and things got better. Had a little IBS-PI, but that went away after a couple months. I had even taken Keflex for a UTI a year or so after, and did not relapse.

Second diagnosis of c.diff was 2 years after the first, at 25, I was pregnant around 12-13 weeks, freshly into my second trimester. Again, I had a skin infection and was on extremely high doses of Clindamycin which lead to the relapse. I also got chronic vaginal yeast infections, as well as a yeast overgrowth on my tongue. I was treated with Vancomycin due to Flagyl crossing into the placenta. I relapsed several times on vancomycin, I was treated with vanco 6 out of 9 months of my pregnancy.
I was 41 weeks when I delivered via c-section. Still had c.diff, and was positive for strep B so I had to have an IV antibiotic for that as well as the c-section. My Dr had me tell them I could only have Vancomycin in the IV since I was being treated orally with it for c.diff. Using another antibiotic could have made me relapse. I stopped taking the oral vanco the night before I went in, had the c-section along with 3 treatments of IV vanco during my course of stay. Picked back up on the oral vanco later in the evening of my last IV dose.

Went home, and switched from vanco over to Dificid, finished the treatment, and relapsed. Had colonoscopy done which showed inflammation, and also was tested again for c.diff which was positive. Dr and I decided on trying a vanco taper over a couple month period which had finally sent me into remission. Had terrible IBS episodes, yeast infections, and the yeast overgrowth in the mouth, which never went away.

Third diagnosis was a year after being into remission. Treated a UTI with Macrobid for 7 days which sent me into a terrible relapse. Started back on a vanco taper for a couple months, relapsed, did another taper, relapsed, and went back on vanco. Seen a GI who does FMTs who advised I do a much longer vanco taper of 6 or so months. Still have terrible vaginal yeast infections, and yeast overgrowth in the mouth. Started taking probiotics, and drinking lots of kefir. Finally finished the vanco taper and thought I was relapsing again. I was tested but it was negative. Had terrible IBS-PI on and off D for 3-4 weeks, followed by a 1-2 weeks of constipation.

Currently doing ok, still have on and off IBS issues. Random spasms in abdomen which I have had since the second diagnosis, episodes of pain in abdomen when IBS is flaring up. On and off lower back pain when IBS is flaring up.

I want to add that my daughter was born with no developmental problems, is almost 2 now, and is healthy. No effect on her from the vanco. I had also taken Nystatin, and Diflucan during pregnancy which depending on the trimester, might not be safe on the growing fetus.

Hope this helps!

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”