Case history for my daughter 20 yrs old

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Prayingmother
Regular User

Case history for my daughter 20 yrs old

Postby Prayingmother » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:29 pm

I can't get her to join here, but this forum has helped me help her.
Aug24 ,2013. She took ceflex? A generic antibiotic for tonsillitis, because she is allergic to penicillin.
On the 4th day she got cramps and diarrhea , the doc treated her with 10 days of flaggyl.

Symptoms returned.
Flaggyl was prescribed again for 14 days, and after another relapse, the upped the dosage.

It came back again and then they gave her 14 days of Vanco. I had her taking florastor at the end of Vanco, and she seemed to be ok for 10 days, then she had good days and a bad day now and again, but eating yogurt and pickles and turmeric on rice and miso soup.... She was living normally, until she caught a cold/ fever/ cough.

Now her codiff seems to be back and getting worse. The doc is closed for thanksgiving weekend, but she had some flaggyl at home, so she is taking a low dose till Monday.

My heart breaks for her, she feels defeated and hated any foods or drinks I offer.

I will keep you posted . She will call the doc on Monday.

Prayingmother
Regular User

Re: Case history for my daughter 20 yrs old

Postby Prayingmother » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:36 pm

She only took one flagyl pill but As her cold gets better, her cdiff symptoms get better too! She started taking culturelle along with floraster and she has not had a bowel movement for a couple of days!
She took 4 floraster pills per day for a month, and now she will take 2 plus 1 culturelle, and hopefully stay well! Looks like she won't rush back to the doctor for more vanco yet.

Prayingmother
Regular User

Postby Prayingmother » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:33 pm

We got the call from yesterdays sample. Cdiff positive. They called in a prescrip for 2 month Vanco taper. I asked for the liquid, but the doc on call disagreed that it was more effective in liquid form, so she will get pills.

Enough for the weekend, and maybe Monday the doctor's office could help with the cost.

Not sure how that will work.
She seems to be catching another cold/sore throat, and still coughing.
Poor girl. She's is exhausted.

Prayingmother
Regular User

Postby Prayingmother » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 pm

She has had hives off and on since the cough came on. Calling the doctor tomorrow to try to get seen.

Prayingmother
Regular User

Postby Prayingmother » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:43 am

The doctor told her the hives were probably from Florastor and to stop taking that.

She is looking into getting the liquid prescribed for part of her 6 week taper of vanco. The doctor told her relapses are common.

Prayingmother
Regular User

Postby Prayingmother » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:55 pm

Tapering Vanco for 7 weeks- all was well until she went down to 1 dose per day. She is having symptoms again. Still tapering down for 2 more weeks, then not sure. Her appt for consultation at Lahey Clinic in MA is 2 weeks after her meds run out.

Prayingmother
Regular User

Postby Prayingmother » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Thank you!

Prayingmother
Regular User

Postby Prayingmother » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:19 pm

Every other day dose and still doing ok! Soon she will skip 2 days

Prayingmother
Regular User

Postby Prayingmother » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:49 pm

Taking a dose of vanco every 3rd day now. Things have been great for her the first week of this dosage, but today she had a softer stool with a tiny cramp.

Staying positive! one week of meds to go!

Prayingmother
Regular User

Postby Prayingmother » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:27 pm

She took her last dose on Tuesday and sent a stool sample on Wed. The results are negative! We are hopeful, but keeping our appointment at Lahey clinic next Friday to discuss fecal transfer in case of relapse.

Prayingmother
Regular User

Postby Prayingmother » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:45 pm

We met with the Gi doc who does fecal transfers, if my daughter has a relapse! we are to call her and set the date. I will be the donor.
My daughter has been off meds for 2 weeks, but she is having some looser stools again, so we shall see. When she feels like its a relapse, she will get retested, and then we go from there.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”