7 months of C Diff and counting

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
chatterville
Brand New Poster

7 months of C Diff and counting

Postby chatterville » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:14 pm

I am in my early twenties and began having C Diff symptoms after receiving a broad-range antibiotic treatment for an unrelated minor infection. The symptoms started in September 2012. I was diagnosed with C Diff in October. I finished my 5th treatment 5 days ago and, as of today, have begun my 5th relapse.

My treatments have been as follows:

Flagyl (Metronidazole) 2 weeks
[positive stool results. Relapse]

Vancocin (Vancomycin) 2 weeks

Flagyl (Metronidazole) 2 weeks, with Dificid (Fidaxomicin) 10 days

Vancocin (Vancomycin) 4 week tapered dosage, followed by a Flexsig (Flexible Sigmoidoscopy) and everything looked good
[Talked doctor into testing stool regardless. Positive stool results. Relapse]

Vancocin (Vancomycin) 6 week tapered dosage, with VSL#3 (Refrigerated probiotic with 8 strains of lactic acid bacteria) 8 weeks
[Started showing symptoms today. "Gut" feeling relapse. Waiting for results of first stool test. Second stool test scheduled for next week.]

I have little or no symptoms when I am on a treatment. When I am between treatments, I have all the symptoms.

My questions are: What's next? Will I have to take Vanco forever? Should I be concerned about using these medications long-term? Is there a different treatment I should consider? What have others with similar situations done?

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”