I've joined the club...

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
Emme818
New User

I've joined the club...

Postby Emme818 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I am (was?) a healthy 45 year old female. In August of 2012 I developed a serious case of pneumonia and spent two weeks in the hospital on oxygen and several different antibiotics including Amoxicillin, Doxycycline, Azyythromycin, and Avelox. My pneumonia was very resistant (I now suspect it was probably viral or fungal) and didn't respond well to the meds. I was released from the hospital extremely weak and exhausted. The diarrhea started soon after. Horrible, cramping, watery, endless. I went to the GI who suspected c diff due to the symptoms and my recent hospitalization. Results came back positive for c diff and he prescribed Flagyl. I was very upset about having another infection and having to take more antibiotics. I was still completely depleted from my ordeal with pneumonia. The Flagyl helped only briefly. I began seeing a holistic doctor who gave me some herbs and parasite remedies and worked on building my immune system back up. I had some days of terrible stomach, rectal pain and bleeding; I was so sure i had an anal abcess that I made my GI do at least 2 rectal exams and a flex sig. The diagnosis was colitis and fissures. It was so difficult to go to work but I tried to go in everyday. At some point I became very sick again and I was put on Flagyl and Vancomycin at the same time. (Flagyl 10 days, Vanco 3 weeks) on day 10 I developed a horrible allergic reaction and my husband took me to the ER where they gave me steroids to bring down the swelling. (great, more meds!) GI took me off both meds as he wasn't sure which one caused reaction. (I think Vanco but who knows) Felt okay for about a week; stools were still soft but not diarrhea. GI took another sample, negative c diff but... a few days later my symptoms are back, a little less severe but it's very discouraging. Trying to get through this without more antibiotics...

I am taking grapefruit seed extract (3 capsules per day) 2 Sacc Boulardi, PB8 probiotics and Deep Defense for my immune system. I also dring Braggs organic apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon in water 2x day) I've always eaten pretty healthy so I'm just continuing with that. I've ordered VSL3 probiotic as that seems to be one of the best out there and i'm not sure mine is really helping. Not sure what else I should do, my system is sensitive to a lot of things and I don't want to overload it. I'm trying to be positive but really feel emotionally and physically drained by all of this; in addition to working full time and taking care of my family. Thanks for listening; this is such a wonderful site with great people who give really heartfelt advice.

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”