Deb's case history

For posting new case histories and updates to histories only. Do not post general messages, replies or questions here.
dwilliard
New User

Deb's case history

Postby dwilliard » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:35 am

I had recurrent c.diff for one year two years ago. I had 2 rounds of flagyl for two weeks each, 2-3 two week rounds of vanco...I had c.diff within a week of finishing each of these treatments. I believe I relapsed 5 times. I then did 9 weeks of a tapering dose of vanco and a12 weeks of a pulsing dose (5 days on, 3 days off...3 weeks; 3 days on, 3 days off...3 weeks; 2 days on, 3 days off...3 weeks; 1 day on, 3 days off 3 weeks) at the lowest dose of vanco.

Because I felt that I was very close to needing a colon transplant if I got c.diff again (due to toxic colon syndrome), 3 days after the last dose above, I did a stool transplant at home with the blessing of my doctor.

It all worked, and now I'm c.diff free. But it doesn't end there, sorry.

Unfortunately, I now have IBS-C and have had it ever since having the c.diff. For the first few months I was confused all the time as to whether I had c.diff again or if my gut issues were just post-infectious IBS. I kept going in for PCR testing to be sure I was negative. Since then, I have refused to take antibiotics. If I end up needing antibiotics, I will do another transplant as soon as I am done with the antibiotics.

I do have a lactose intolerance, and if I get any dairy, I get SIBO and feel very, very sick. I did have the lactose intolerance for years before the c.diff, and I feel as if a badly managed lactose intolerance does contribute to colon bacteria population issues which may lead to being more susceptible to c.diff colonization, but that's just a "gut feeling" on my part. Pun intended.

The only thing I've found that helps my IBS is acacia soluble fiber taken regularly. I'm still struggling with it, though. That and weight gain from all of this (I have IBS-C).

One of the best papers I've found for information on c.diff that I shared with my doctor I found here http://crohnsend.com/documents/dr_silve ... plants.pdf

Deb

Return to “Case Histories and Updates”