It works

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Fire2
Regular Contributor

It works

Postby Fire2 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:03 pm

Talked with my Primary and he is having repeated success in treating patients that are testing positive for C-Diff with Activated Charcoal capsules. The charcoal absorbs the Infection. You will have to space it around any other med's as it would also absorb them. Use it for a week and then re-test. Drawbacks ....it tastes extremely bad and will turn your stool black. That's not a bad trade off compared to full blown C-Diff. Be sure to run it by your Caregiver before trying....Could it really be this simple ??? Success is hard to ignore...

Fire

allenmj
Contributor

Re: It works

Postby allenmj » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:03 pm

When I did the bulk of my research I discovered Activated Charcoal gives false negative tests. It does a good job absorbing the toxins, but does not destroy the actual vegatative organisms. Currently, only two methods have been identified to work to destroy the actual C Diff bacteria. Antibiotics which penetrate the cell wall of the vegatative c diff and destroy it, or when the Beneficial bacterial have colonized so fully that there is no place for the C diff to latch on, in accordance, when helpful bacteria are so plentiful that the PH of the intestinal enviornment becomes unfavorable to the C Diff (several strains of Lactobacillas perform this, including L Casai and L GG). Activated charcoal, according to current studies, do not perform either of these tasks. It simply soaks up the toxins and lessons the symptoms.

It would be possible for a person to become so free of toxins that they would show C Diff negative when using a toxin test, but they would still show positive under the C Diff DNA test.

(Standard disclaimer, I am NOT a doctor. I am simply someone who has done a lot of research and has a medical background)

Fire2
Regular Contributor

Postby Fire2 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:34 pm

All 12 of his recent patients are symptom free and after up to 8 months out are still testing negative. I agree with your studies, but is it possible that the Charcoal absorbing the toxins allows the body a better chance of controlling due to the toxins being contained ? There is a school of thought that C-Diff surrounds us as a part of our natural environment and if one looks hard enough we all carry traces of it, so there would be no surprise in finding traces in the DNA studies. For many of us who have had lengthy battles with C-Diff, just lessening the symptoms would be a very welcome occurrence.

We are all unique individuals who react to drugs and therapies differently...I posted the information as food for thought...an option

Fire

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:06 pm

I asked my GI about taking the activated charcoal and he said it would do no harm. I know that poison control has people take it if they swallow certain toxic substances - even kids. I was planning on trying it out. A lessening of symptoms would be nice. Questran also binds toxins, but some people have problems with it not agreeing. Same idea though.

debdee
Regular Contributor

Postby debdee » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:05 pm

Fire, how does your doctor have the patients take the charcoal? Is it the pill form? Or is the charcoal powder put in water and then drink the black water? I have some charcoal pills. Actually, when my husband and I were in The Netherlands 5 years ago, he had such bad "D" and digestion upset that my Dutch cousin recommended it. They use that there instead of pepto. It cleared everything up for my husband -- worked great!

I have had very bad effects from the c.diff toxins because my body, for some reason, does not do "D" -- only loose stools. Tested positive for c.diff toxins 5 times this way. This seems to cause weird toxic symptoms. Even though I don't have "D", do you think the charcoal would still work? I don't want it to give me "C".

Thanks for sharing your info., Fire.

Debbie

Fire2
Regular Contributor

Postby Fire2 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:32 pm

Capsule form...He has and has had good success using it

justin
New User

Postby justin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:43 pm

I registered an account here to share my experience, hoping it will help someone.

I had the bug for more than 2 years. Probiotics including kefir only stopped symptoms if taken everyday and would not colonize the gut flora. I read about the antibiotic treatments and their possibly devastating side effects and that they might not work . I read about stool transplant...I was not ready to eat shit just yet.

I then came accross a blog (link below) where the author claimed to have cured himself in 2 days using massive doses of activated charcoal, cucurmin and food grade diatomaceous earth. I decided to follow the same steps. I knew about the constipation risks, but I decided risking the C was better than risking the D.

I ingested about 40 pills of charcoal and 20 pills of cucurmin a day and stopped the probiotics while doing this. When I ran out of charcoal pills I took the powder directly, several large spoons a day mixed with water.

In 5 days, symptoms seem to have disappeared. I still take kefir to build up my gut flora. Before when I used to skip a day I would get symptoms, guaranteed. Now when I skip kefir for a day I have no symptoms and I can feel that my digestion is back where it used to be. I really feel I am healed.

Yes, it works.

https://www.onaquietday.org/2017/01/03/ ... ervention/
Last edited by justin on Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for information for new posters. I'm glad that you are better, but you are lucky that nothing bad happened to you with taking that much activated charcoal. There are quite a few warnings about it and it is not something we can recommend, especially in high doses. Some people do not and would not do well with that. Always check with a doctor to make sure you don't have a condition that would prohibit using those supplements.

I do agree with you about treating with antibiotics, but sometimes there is no choice, especially for people who have other medical issues. I have had FMT and it is not as bad as it sounds.

justin
New User

Postby justin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:51 pm

Nothing bad can happen to you with activated charcoal if you have clos. diff but are otherwise healthy. Unpleasant side effects are actually rare, but like with any drug, can happen. It's one of the lightest treatments compared to other ones freely discussed here, such as ingesting someone else's poop, antibiotics that make you deaf, or re-kill all your gut flora all over again.

People make their own choices. I am not recommending anything to anyone, sharing my story is all.
Last edited by justin on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Wanna buy some snake oil?

justin
New User

Postby justin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:13 pm

roy wrote:
> Wanna buy some snake oil?

No because it does not work, while charcoal is a known anti poison treatment. Any other questions ?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Yes!
Why do supplements have warnings not to exceed the recommended dose?

justin
New User

Postby justin » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:48 pm

roy wrote:
> Yes!
> Why do supplements have warnings not to exceed the recommended dose?

There is no such warning on my activated charcoal's box and I have never seen any on any other. It only says don't inhale and don't use when pregnant or lactating.

The OP mentioned this is recommended by a doctor who used it successfully with many patients.

Are you a doctor ?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:44 am

We are not doctors and all I am saying is that if anyone wants to try this to run it by their doctor because each person has an individual health history and what might be fine for one person, may not be for another. My doctor suggested activated charcoal to me at one point too, but not in those high doses. That may be because of my own health issues. Everyone is different, so check it out first.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:52 am

Justin

As I have mentioned in the past this is a support site for those going through treatment with CDIFF. We discuss actual medically approved treatment. CDIFF can be a life threatening illness, as in my case with 5 relapses.

Those of us who donate our time after our own battles with CDIFF do it to support others with the hope we can help them through.

We recently had someone post another "cure" and once again the article came from a doctor who did his own little study. No actual drug studies were done.

We have to take caution to any "medically unproven" treatment that anyone can post

I am a Healthcare Provider of over 30 years, I would never promote any treatment that has not had complete drug studies especially when it comes to such a serious illness that if not treated properly can return.

NanciT

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”