How to gain back weight post c diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
jjmom
Regular User

How to gain back weight post c diff

Postby jjmom » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi everyone, I haven't been here for a few weeks. I was diagnosed with c diff in early Oct., took one round of Flagyl and have been recovering since. I did have a negative test result in mid Dec. My GI prescribed Rifaximin for some IBS symptoms but I never took it. Too scared of another antibiotic and I felt more confident about recovery with the negative test result. I still have some IBS symptoms usually in the morning, but they are improving. Things are still soft, not completely back to normal but I do feel much better. My question is- how do I start putting on the weight I lost. I was on the slim side to begin with and I lost about 17lbs. Nothing fits! I would love to put on half of what I lost. I still don't eat dairy, or soda, or chips or anything fried. I drink a Boost each day. I have not put on one ounce of weight. It seems like the foods that help you gain are the ones can make IBS worse. I know that so many are trying to lose weight and can't believe I want to gain but I just feel I need that weight back for strength and well-being. If you guys have any ideas please pass them on.

natalyjac
Regular Contributor

Re: How to gain back weight post c diff

Postby natalyjac » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:26 pm

My son had trouble putting weight back on too. I made him kefir smoothies (kefir, strawberries, banana, protein powder), gave him primadophilus reuteri, and fed him as much food as I could. He was lucky in that he didn't have any food intolerance at all. One good thing though is Kefir is 99 percent lactose free, so a lot of people can tolerate it, and it has so many great probiotics in it. He got c diff last February weighing 145, was down to 124 I think in March and was back up to normal in mid June.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:02 pm

I wish I had some advice for you, but I don't. Have you tried potatoes? Have you been able to tolerate dairy at all? How about eggs scrambled or fried in margarine or bacon fat?

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Under normal circumstances most individuals that are battling a weight problem would be envious of you. Yet, on the other hand, I can completely relate to your current standing. I’ve heard the same complaint over and over again from c-diff recipients. If fact, I had the same problem and it took me almost a year to completely regain my weight. In fact, its 3 years since my recovery and I’m still 5 lbs shy of my original weight. I don’t know the reason why, but it’s obvious that the body needs time to readjust to its normal status. The only suggestion that I have is to add more calories to your daily intake. In fact, you may have to change your daily routine and add foods that are high in calories. Are you lactose intolerance that you don’t indulge in dairy products? McDonald’s thick shakes should really help you, if, in fact, you are not lactose intolerant. Good luck in the recovery process!!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:21 pm

I lost 27 pounds to cdiff and had to buy all new pants. It took me 2 years to gain back the weight. I ate 6 times a day, 3 small meals because a lot of things didn't agree with me, plus 3 snacks: Ensure, kefir, and yogurt with active cultures. Luckily I wasn't lactose intolerant as some folks are after cdiff. Good luck!

JoElizabeth
Regular Contributor

Postby JoElizabeth » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Peanut butter and jam sandwiches on white bread kept me from losing too much and helped put my weight back on. I also kept a food diary and made sure I ate 1500 calories a day...frequent small meals. I also drank kefir and almond and soy milk and added hershey's syrup for the extra calories. I ate lots of turkey sandwiches and sliced up olives and put them on it.

I really think the peanut butter is what helped the most. I have regained 9 of the 15 pounds I lost.

Good luck!

jo

jjmom
Regular User

Postby jjmom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks for the ideas. I am a bit paranoid about what I eat so I haven't really given dairy a try. Well, I do eat butter. But no cow's milk, ice cream, etc. We don't have peanut butter in the house b/c I have child who is allergic but I do have Sun Butter (sunflower seed butter) and it is yummy tasting. I used to eat it all the time, perhaps I will try some of that since it has 200 calories per 2 tablespoons. I also have been eating sheeps milk yogurt and it is delicious. Haven't tried Kefir yet, I did use to drink it about a year ago, long before c diff.

It is so ironic b/c I am surrounded by people trying deparately to lose weight. One good friend just had the lap band surgery. I am also pretty active and I walk about 40 minutes a day. I love the walking it makes me feel so good! I just can't seem to eat as much food, just yesterday I ate more than usual and some new stuff and this morning I woke up feeling awful, nauseas, crampy, gurgly. I guess I just need to have patience, the recovery takes a while and so will the weight gain.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:22 pm

If you can only each small amounts at a time, it would be better if you ate more frequently; rather 3 meals a day, make it 5. Eating before going to sleep usually puts weight on, but don't know if it would disrupt your sleep. Take care!
Kathy
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

mray
Regular Contributor

Postby mray » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:11 pm

I'm having issues with this. My weight goes up and down, but is still about 20 pounds light of where I used to be.

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:29 pm

I lost 30 pounds...but have packed them all back on. I think it was the Ensure ...and macaroni and cheese.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:43 pm

see CDI - Nutrition. Ensure helps most people. plus varities have more fat and more calories.

LoveMyBully
Contributor

Postby LoveMyBully » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 pm

So does anyone know just how long before dairy should be added back into the diet? Does C Diff feed on dairy and make it worse? I'm with you jjmom. Still afraid of dairy, but that mac and cheese suggestion. Yum, have been craving that.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:33 pm

The reason to be careful about dairy is that many folks become lactose intolerant due to cdiff. Some folks can eat yogurt even if they can't eat any other dairy products. If I were you, I would start slowly. Try yogurt first. If that agrees with you, wait a couple of days and try another dairy product, say a little mac and cheese. And so on.

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:59 am

Yes, take it easy with the dairy. I could always eat yogurt and have a little cream in my coffee but when I venture out to pizza I get M again so it still irritates the colon. I even took Lactaid this last time I tried pizza and still got a little D with lots of M so I won't try that again. I wonder why CDiff makes us lactose intolerant. I sure hope eventually I can eat pizza again since this is one of my favorites. Its funny, when I was on Vanco I could eat anything, its only since I'm off all meds that these food issues are coming up. Thank God I can eat yogurt since its so good for the gut and I love it also. I have put back on 20 of the 25 lbs. I lost but only in the last few months or so. I could have kept that weight off as I am a little overweight. Now I need to lose 25 or 30 lbs. but I'll worry about it when I'm completely well. Good luck!! Carol
CAROL

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:01 am

My new GI doc says that C diff alters the colon's permeability and can cause intolerance to dairy proteins, not just the lactose. That is true for me, because I can't even have frozen yogurt of lactose-free dairy stuff without problems. It stinks, because I really like pizza, lasagna, gruyere mac-n-cheese, etc. Oh well.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”