How to gain back weight post c diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: How to gain back weight post c diff

Postby beth22 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:40 am

Amyc - By permeability, do you mean that the c diff results in "leaky gut syndrome"? Would anything help to heal the colon of this problem with the permeability like L-glutamine or colostrum? I have read that both are supposed to help, but never took either long enough to see if it did or not. Or is this permeability problem in the small intestine?

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:53 pm

Not sure what to say here as I am post C-diff and have been losing weight still. I'm down to 100 pounds. I'm beginning to worry. When my stomach acts up somedays I don't eat anything at all. I emailed my GI about this last week and he told me to supplement with 2 Ensures per day. I also drink a smoothie every morning consisting of a cup of soy milk, 1/2 a banana, I package Carnation Instant Breakfast, and 2 TBS. of peanut butter. It equals about 500 calories. I also use GNC protein powder and add a scoop to a glass of soy or almond milk with lunch or dinner. I've just started adding that in this week. I'm hoping these things will work. I also began logging my calories everyday and am shooting for 1,900/day, if I can handle it all.

Mashy
New User

Postby Mashy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:26 pm

I am a new member this is my first post. I am on my second dose of Vanco . Suffered with C diff for the last six weeks. I got it from to many antibotics due to months of strep throat.
I lost close to 15 pounds and am struggling with weight gain also. I agree with one of the individuals that when on the vanco I can seem to eat and tolerant more foods.
My questions are does it seem like the second dose of Vanco gets this under control and what types of things can you ask your doctor to do to try to shorten this nightmare.

Thank you !

gm37
Long Time Contributor

Postby gm37 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Mashy,
Welcome to the site. Those are good questions. I am not sure that the answers are easy. It seems that we all respond to treatment differently.
Some are cured after one or two courses of Vanco. Some find success with tapering Vanco over a period of weeks. My doctor had me taper the Vanco for ten weeks. That means I took 250 4X a day for 2 weeks, then 250 3X for 2 weeks, then 250 2X a day for two weeks, and so on.
Some people have luck with using probiotics to help the gut replenish and return to a healthy balance. Check CDI on the site for suggestions.
It sound like you are eating again and that is a good sign. Hope you are on your way to a quick recovery.
Anne

g.g27
Brand New Poster

Postby g.g27 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:50 pm

I also had c.diff over the summer it was awful, I thought I was dying. I am now c.diff free since late July. Now my problem is I need to gain weigh back. Originally I was 166 pounds but then I lost 29 pounds with c.diff I am not 137 pounds. I’ve tried to eat more but without no luck. For some reason I stay at 136 pounds. Any idea how I can gain weigh back heathy wise?

Ajs
Regular Contributor

Postby Ajs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:00 pm

FYI, this thread is several years old. You may want to start a new one for more responses. It’s great that you’re now cdiff free. I wouldn’t worry myself to death over gaining weight. The main thing is to concentrate on building and strengthening your good bacteria. Try to stay away from processed foods. Eat fresh protein and veggies as much as you can tolerate. Little to no sugar for a while. No alcohol, little to no caffeine. This will help your good bacteria to populate. It may not be the quickest way to gain weight, but it will help your gut recover from the antibiotics you had to be on. It takes a long, long time to build back your flora. Good luck!

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”