Re: Should you test to see if your cured?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:12 pm

I would talk to your doctor tomorrow and see what he/she suggests. This illness affects everyone individually and what works for one doesn't work for another. In this case, best discuss it with the doctor and voice your concerns about not taking the medication and also about taking it. He/she will have to weigh it and see what is in your best interest.

bgallimore
New User

Postby bgallimore » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:59 pm

Update: I was positive for a 2nd time. GI put me on 3wks Vanco 4xday. I'm 3 wks post Vanco today but on Sunday I had some M with gas so I went to Urgent Care for some stool kits, that evening I had a D bowel movement so I took it to the lab. Waiting on those results I then started having constipation, upper stomach pains, gas, boating and occassional nausea. The GI nurse told me she feels I've now gotten IBS from C Diff to take some Miralax. The stool came back negative. But I'm
My questions: Should I retest now that I'm having the M n my stool again?
Are these symptoms truly just from the IBS?

My symptoms are: occasional nausea, upper stomach discomfort, gas, bloating and mucous when I wipe.

Thank u!
Becky

Katiekay1
Brand New Poster

Postby Katiekay1 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:57 pm

I have been D free with no abdominal pain for a week now. However, I did a stool sample 4 days ago and the doctor called today saying it was positive. She wants me to go back on antibiotics for 10 more days. I got really sick on flagyl last time and I don't really feel comfortable putting my body through that again! Opinions??

sickofthis
Regular Contributor

Postby sickofthis » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:50 pm

How long after stopping meds did you retest? Did you wait the 10 to 14 days?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:27 am

Wait 7 to 10 days and then retest if you feel you have to do so. If Flagyl made you sick (and it does many), ask for Vancocin. If you are terribly sick, don't wait to be retested but seek medical help ASAP.

Some still test positive while on meds. See CDI - C. diff. tests. As Roy suggested, you could have IBS - about l out of 5 people do. Symptoms are similar to C. diff. See CDI - Three Day Rule and CDI - IBS.

binki
Brand New Poster

Postby binki » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:33 pm

After a course of Clindamycin for a skin abscess I developed diarrhea and cramping. Went to my doctor after two weeks of suffering and had to send in a stool sample. It took almost a week for the results to come back, in the meantime I took Florastor, oil of oregano and ate lots of probiotic joghurt. When the result came back positive for CDiff my doctor put me on metronidazole. I picked it up from the pharmacy but since my symptoms dissappeared slowly I decided to give my body just a little bit more time to heal itself. I would have taken it no question if the symptoms persisted. Long story short, I got over the symptoms of cdiff without taking the antibiotic, all I took was the Florastor and the oil of oregano, I continued that some more weeks after all the symptoms dissappeared and it is now almost 3 months without any problems, everything is back to normal. I am still thinking I should get tested again, just to make sure the cdiff is really gone but after reading a lot of comments it might not be any good, will just keep my fingers crossed that it will never come back. Am I just "special" or do more CDiff cases resolve on their own without antibiotic treatment? Binki

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Some cases do resolve after the antibiotic is stopped. (See Dr. Borody's article.) You are, indeed, fortunate. Clindamycin is the first antibiotic linked to C. diff.

I have no idea if oil of Oregano helped you. It has been touted for years as a "cure" for many diseases. It obviously didn't hurt you, however. (See Treatments.)

You are one lucky lady. I can't see any reason for retesting unless you develop symptoms again.

Rejoice!!!

binki
Brand New Poster

Postby binki » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks, sounds good to me even though I am not as "special" as I thought ;-) Thanks for your replies and have a great day. Binki

jmarie111
New User

Postby jmarie111 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Hi - My doctor is going to test me before I stop my antibiotics (this is my second round) before I stop them. I would recommend getting tested...it won't hurt anything and if you do still have it, then they can treat it.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:18 pm

You can test positive for many weeks after your "cured" because of lingering c.diff DNA and you can test negative while your on antibiotics because the toxins are gone but the spores are still waiting to germinate when you stop antibiotics.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Roy: That is pretty much what my Infectious Disease doctor told me.

Blinggal
New User

Postby Blinggal » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:32 pm

I also tested positive from a normal stool. Was having D off and on but the day I tested stool formed and positive. Then was having severe diarrhea and tested that. It came back negative. Go figure. I think there are few hard and fast rules when it comes to c diff. That's what makes it so frustrating!

sickofthis
Regular Contributor

Postby sickofthis » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:49 am

Is there any written documentation that I can print out and take with me to the doctors? - I am looking for something that advises them to treat us based on symptoms not test results. There are to many doctors out there that refuse to give medication until you test positive again and that delays treatment and lets not forget to mention the false negative/false positive results that occur with testing. There are also the doctors that lump us in the PI-IBS category because they refuse to believe we are not better after 1 or 2 treatments. I am frustrated over this issue they need to listen to us, we know our bodies.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:29 pm

Lee S
New User

Postby Lee S » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:04 am

Roy,

This is a fantastic article! Thank you so much for posting it. Finally we have credible documentation to take to our doctors!

Lee

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”