Sulfasalazine Help Needed

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
Jenny
Regular Contributor

Sulfasalazine Help Needed

Postby Jenny » Wed May 25, 2011 9:59 am

Hi Everyone,

It's been sometime since I posted on here with a question. In fact I'll be 3 years c-diff "free" on June 2nd. I've been struggling with my rheumatoid arthritis for a while now and have reached the maximum dose of methotrexate. I've had to stop prednisone due to some other unrelated problems I'm having that may need a surgery this summer. Also scary but they say they can do the surgery without antibiotics. Biologics are probably the next course of action but in the meantime my rheumy has put me on Sulfasalazine 500mg x 2 per day in addition to the methotrexate. He is well aware of my history with c-diff and my fear of antibiotics. He didn't actually say this was an antibiotic, but my research shows it does contain antibiotics. I double checked with him after picking up my prescription and he said not to worry this one would be fine.

Well I have experienced terrible nausea and fatigue very common symptoms but diarrhea is also a side effect of the drug. It is often used to treat Ulcerative colitis. I am now worried that this drug is going to affect my healthy flora. Starting to get "iffy" bowel movements, and maybe give c-diff an opportunity once again. I have even heard of this drug being used to treat c-diff in some rare cases. Does anyone know much about this drug? Not much pops up when I google c-diff and sulfasalazine on this web site or the web.

Thanks

Jenny

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Sulfasalazine Help Needed

Postby beth22 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:22 am

Is this the stuff that is in Asacol? You might pm Cindym. She said that she took Bactrim, which is an antibiotic (sulfa) and it did not give her problems as other antibiotics have. You can search her posts if she does not check her messages. It sounds like the sulfasalazine might have sulfa in it too - although I don't know and have not taken it. Sulfa, I was told, is not likely to cause c diff, but any antibiotic can. If this has just very small amounts in it, then it is not really an antibiotic, I guess. It probably is an anti-inflammatory, and I have heard that these drugs can cause D and upset stomach. Good luck. It sounds like you have a lot going on. You're lucky that they agreed to do your surgery without antibiotics.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Wed May 25, 2011 3:05 pm

I took Sulfasalazine quite a few years ago for Colitis and recurrent diviticulitis. If my memory serves me right, it's not an antibiotic. However, it can cause "D" stomach pain, etc. the same as any other medicaton. I had to go off of it because if ended up with a severe reaction to it. I wouldn't be concern as far as its' relation to causing C-diff. Take care.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Fri May 27, 2011 11:08 am

Sulfasalazine is a combination of salicylate (the main ingredient in aspirin) and a sulfa antibiotic, and it works primarily in the intestine. This is what is worrying me so much as I have definitely upset my digestive system. This drug would be for long term use not just 10 days, and will go up in dose. It is always in the back of your mind that spores may remain in the minority. I just worry that all this D will give them an opportunity to multiply. I have stopped the drug at the moment and will see my rheumy again in a few weeks. I just want to have as many facts as I can.

Thanks again for any additional advice you can give.

Jenny

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Fri May 27, 2011 12:27 pm

Jenny, Maybe your present doctor can solicit feedback from a colleague; specifically an individual who deals with c-diff on a routine basis. I would be concern taking an antibiotic long term as well. Perhaps there (other than an antibiotic) is another medication out there that can achieve the same results . Good luck to you!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Jenny
Regular Contributor

Postby Jenny » Fri May 27, 2011 5:21 pm

Okay so I found this at last.

Sulfasalazine is created by bonding a sulfa antibiotic called “sulfapyridine” to a salt of salicylic acid (aspirin). The bond is intact all the way down the intestinal tract until it is cleaved in the colon by resident bacteria releasing the two component molecules. The sulfa antibiotic is absorbed into the body and has minimal effect but the salicylic acid exerts its famous anti-inflammatory effects locally. Essentially a salve is applied to the surface of the inflamed colon.

This makes me feel much better, though the minimal effect concerns me slightly. I don't think they are considering someone who had c-diff for 6 months :-(

Stopped the med on Wednesday and I'm just waiting to get back to normal and I'm sure I will, but prolonged D is not for me. I think I may give Orencia a try. Scared of biologics as I am, I am more scared of c-diff rearing it's ugly head again.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Jenny

StefK8
Brand New Poster

Postby StefK8 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:09 pm

Hi jenny,

I realize this is a super old post but how long were you on sulfasalazine? Im 8 months post c diff infection. I have just now started the sulfasalazine. did you develop c diff from using it? Any feedback is welcomed, especially since this is an old post.

Thank you kindly,
Stefanie

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:59 pm

StefK8

Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more info on c diff and how to use this site.

Since Jenny's post is old, you would have better luck emailing or Pming her. Click on her name for contact info.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”