2 rounds of c-diff and maybe a 3rd!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
michaela
Brand New Poster

2 rounds of c-diff and maybe a 3rd!

Postby michaela » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Hi,

I am new to this board and would like to share my story. Like so many, it started after taking Cipro and Flagyl for an unidentified colitis attack which now appears to have been related to a D&C I had 2 weeks prior to the colitis attack. Not sure if I got c-diff in the hospital during the D&C and that is what caused the colitis or if the c-diff came from taking the meds after the colitis attack, but that is where it all started. After my c-diff symptoms began, I provided a stool sample and was positive. I took 120 mg. of vanco for 14 days 4x a day. I also did and continue to take florastor and florajen3. Within 8 days of the last vanco, I relapsed and began another 14 day treatment of vanco (same dosing as above). Now my last vanco was 7 days ago and I am starting to feel the symptoms creep back. For me it starts with a dull pain in the back that moves throughout my left side and sometimes the right. During the first relapse, I had a strong urgency to use the bathroom, orange loose stool, but not the explosive diarrhea that everyone talks about. This time the pain is back, and I am just starting to have the urgency and loose stool but no orange color, mucus or blood like I did during the last relapse. I know I am not typing anything new here, but I do have a few questions:

1. I felt great while on Vanco - no signs of post infectious IBS, is it possible for these symptoms to be IBS? At what point should I consider being retested? Does a little bit of blood definitely indicate C-Diff again?
2. If I am c-diff positive again, should I insist on a tapering schedule due to the fact that this will be my 3rd bout?
3. I live in Chicago, does anyone know a doctor who specializes in this from the area?
4. My GI wants me to have a colonoscopy, but to wait until I have been c-diff free for a few months. He says that colonoscopies can be risky during or right after a c-diff infection. It seems to make since, but I am starting to worry that I could have a greater problem and maybe should have it done? What are your thoughts on this?

I am so happy to have found this sight, it gives me hope and that takes a person a long way. I am 37 years old with 3 children and it has been a tough 3 months. Thanks in advance for your thoughts, time and advice:)

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Re: 2 rounds of c-diff and maybe a 3rd!

Postby Kathy George » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:24 pm

In answer to your first question, you will know when to be retested. The signs and symptoms will be there and your innate ability will recognize the time to call the doctor.

Your current doctor gives the impression that he is well versed on C-Diff. He has gone through the proper routine thus far. If you would relapse, I believe your doctor would recommend the tapering therapy treatment.

In my opinion, your GI is absolutely right to delay your colonoscopy until a later date. His conscientious decision making skills on your behalf are clear, concise and noteworthy.

Lastly, stay in control of your current health issue. Ask as many questions as you can, stay alert as to changes that are taking place, and continue to consult with your GI whenever necessary.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:44 pm

Standard Introduction: Welcome to the site. Read the first forum ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST and its subtopics - especially the announcements: PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST and GUIDELINES FOR POSTING TO OUR DISCUSSION BOARDS. They will guide you in using the site and answer some of the most frequent questions. Read Dr. Borody's and Dr. McDonald's articles and some of the topics in CDI - formerly FAQ - especially Hygiene, Nutrition, and Testing.

The majority (almost 80%) recovers with one to two rounds of Flagyl or Vancocin, but an unlucky small percentage does not and can suffer for months. Everyone eventually recovers, however, unless other factors are involved such as advanced age or severe health problems. If antibiiotics contributed to your C diff, be careful about taking them again. (See CDI - Antibiotics). Some people can tolerate them without a problem; some develop C difficile again. (See Dr.Borody's article).

Kathy has given you some good advice. If you do relapse, then yes, talk to your doctor about a tapering of pulsing schedule. That seems to have worked for many here. As far as the colonoscopy goes, I would not jump into that. First of all, for many, the prep is harsh and your intestines have already been traumatized by the c diff and the treatment. I had a sigmoidoscopy post c diff and did not have problems with it because it only requires a Fleet's enema rather than a laxative prep. I also did not need sedation. The doctor was able to see if ther was inflammation and he took some biopsies. You can talk to your doctor about this option. Some doctors don't do sigmoidoscopies anymore, only colonoscopies.

Your symptoms can be IBS. If you feel uncertain, then ask your doctor to give you a lab slip to be tested again. You mentioned that you are taking probiotics. Some people get IBS symptoms from some of these. I am one of them. I can't take much in the way of probiotics at all - get gas, frequency, bloating, sometimes cramping and D. When I was on vanco, I could tolerate more, as the vanco kills a lot of it, but after I stopped, I had to cut down. You might try to not take one of them for a day or two and see if your symptoms get better. If you are able to tolerate yogurt or kefir, those are also good. And yes, it takes your system a while to readjust. You will have good days and bad days.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:27 pm

It's too early to know if you have IBS and/or having a relapse. I would suggest the wait and see approach. The rule of thumb is to wait at least 10-14 days post c-diff for retesting. If done sooner, the medication that you were taking could still be in your system and the possiblity of a false negative could occur. Good luck and keep us posted!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

michaela
Brand New Poster

Postby michaela » Sun May 01, 2011 12:24 am

Thank you all very much for taking the time to share your thoughts. It really helps to get other opinions from people who have a shared experience. I really connected to the thought regarding too many probiotics. I had not considered that before. I have been taking quite a bit (2 florastor a day and 1 florajen a day) in addition to drinking a Kombucha tea a day. I even started to add a little prebiotics to my morning yogurt....wow, when I write it down it looks like a lot! I only had d on thursday and nothing since, but have pain that comes and goes on either my right or left side and sometimes lower back. Another odd thing is that my stomach sometimes gurgles in the most obnoxious way...has anyone experienced that too during post recovery?

I have learned so much through this group. Bless you all for starting it and I will keep you posted.

Fire2
Regular Contributor

Postby Fire2 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:46 am

Kathy is right as usual. I've found that excessive amounts of probiotics can and do cause many of the issues that you are experiencing. Your GI system can only tolerate so much bacteria and when that amount is exceeded it will flush the excess amount out sometimes as "D" and create gas problems and the associated pain.

Fire

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”