CAN IT GO AWAY BY ITSELF??

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ballen
New User

Re: CAN IT GO AWAY BY ITSELF??

Postby ballen » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:06 pm

Thank you, Beth, I contacted Kathy and got the instructions from her.

One more question, this second round of Flagyl was seven days, 4 pills a day. I have a doctor appt tomorrow, and he will ask me again if I am "better". The first round of Flagyl I wasn't "better" at seven days, and he prescribed me six more days of it right then. Is the seven days I'll have gone through this time enough to make an infusion successful, or will more days of pills be even better?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:36 pm

I pm'd you. Check your mail

ballen
New User

Postby ballen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:13 pm

Just got back from the doctor, and as I expected he was totally against the infusion-idea. He actually played dumb at first and made me explain what it was to him, then literally scoffed at the idea, then started joking about messes and turkey-basters, and told me to not try it at home. "Let the acidophilus do it's work" (the Bacid I'm prescribed) he told me.

He didn't prescribe more Flagyl, and wants to test me again in week for C Diff. If it's still positive, he'll put me on Vanco. DON'T want that, so I'm still thinking Plan A.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:38 pm

It's unfortunate your doctor scoffed at your idea instead of trying to work with you. Most doctors who do infusions do have their patients prep with vanco, but there are people who can't take vanco, so I am sure that Flagyl is good too. Let us know how it goes.

ballen
New User

Postby ballen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:51 pm

Well, I successfully did an infusion today! Everything seemed to go very well, and hopefully this will drive the remaining C Diff guys out and let me return to normal.. And believe me, I'll have to be just about at death's door to ever take another antibiotic again... I plan to do another tomorrow, since I'll still be in that 24-48 hour range. Keep your fingers crossed!

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Good Luck!!!! Keep us updated!!!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:35 pm

You only have to be in the 24-48 hour range for the first one. If you do subsequent ones, it does not matter, as you already have put in some good bacteria. You can do a week in a row if you want. Yes, good luck and let us know if it was successful.

kitkatbek
Regular Contributor

Postby kitkatbek » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:28 pm

Good luck! May I ask who you used as a donor?

ballen
New User

Postby ballen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi everyone! Just have to report that I feel SO much better. I did two infusions, one Wednesday, and yesterday (Thursday). Today I feel like a million bucks. I never had really bad symptoms, but even those have disappeared (so far!). The biggest thing I noticed, though, was so much more energy. I don't know the exact reason, but I feel better today than I have in months.

Two days ago, maybe 18 hours after I finished my last Flagyl, I woke up totally drained. Blitzed. Later that morning I had D so badly that I was just about in shock (dizzy, sweaty, trembling, weak, prickly, vision going black-n-white). I gradually felt a little better thru the day and did the first infusion that afternoon. Everything went great, even went to dinner and had some soup and grilled cheese that night. Felt even better the next day, did the second infusion. Then today, woke up ready to take on the world.

Did the infusions really help, or was it just that second round of Flagyl? My doc would say the drugs... but I don't believe so.

My donor was my DH. He had been tested for C diff because of ME, and was negative, but I I really should have had him tested for the whole range of stuff. Don't think I could have gotten his doc to agree to it, though. Hope I don't get hook worms... lol

Hopefully things will continue to go well! Doc wanted me tested again in a week after the flagyl, but I might give it a few more days to settle out. Keep your fingers crossed!

Thanks so much, everyone!

kitkatbek
Regular Contributor

Postby kitkatbek » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:37 pm

Wonderful news!!! Keep us posted of your progress.

ballen
New User

Postby ballen » Sat May 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi everyone, it's been over two months now since I last posted. True to form, this c.diff is being mysterious and worrisome still. I tested negative after the last Flagyl round back in March, but my symptoms, although sloooooowly improving (like 10 steps forward and 9 steps back!) are still not at all gone. My symptoms were NEVER really bad, mostly loose BM, gas, 3-4 trips to the loo in the morning to finish things, and the super-occasional single-bout of D.

I switched doctors, and my new doc is much more knowledgeable (the old one just told me to wash my hands and eat yogurt), and even HE is baffled. Because of my minor symptoms he even mused that perhaps I never even HAD c.diff. But then the two positive tests, and the round of clindamyacin I had just before the onset of symptoms last fall, stymied him. He suggested I rule out gluten and dairy, so I cold-turkeyed on both for a week with no change in bowel habits.

I'm still taking some probiotics and Florastor, after ditching them a while back for a week or so to see what happened. Dropping them made no change, nor when I started up again.

Any suggestions? My doc seems to think that if I had/have c.diff that I should be in alot worse shape as far as D, gas, losing weight, etc... But then I've read here that it can take months and months to recover your gut-flora before "things" return to normal.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat May 14, 2011 9:04 pm

You posted in March that you were feeling much better after the infusions. You stated that after two infusions you felt like a million bucks!!! Did you continue the infusions or stop at two???? Usually five to eight are recommended.

The nuisance symptoms, which you are experiencing at the present time, may be a new norm. It takes time for the good flora to multiply and re-established within your intestinal tract. C-Diff plays havoc on your overall health and the overall recovery is a delicate process. Your intestinal tract needs to be tweak in this recovery process. Remember, one day at a time.

Taking probiotics on and off can create instability within the intestinal tract as well. Tapering off of probiotics is usually recommended and is more favorable in order to achieve a full recovery.

Good luck to you!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

herrybr
Brand New Poster

Postby herrybr » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:14 am

My doc just some days ago told me about C-diff and this was totally out of my dictionary and now looking for more information about it. So as new comer not have sufficient suggestions about it.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”