Finding a New Doctor?

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
IHateCDiff
New User

Finding a New Doctor?

Postby IHateCDiff » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:17 am

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this and I realize I've posted several other topics recently but as I was just released from the hospital less than 48 hours ago I'm dealign with the anxiety and all...

I left the hospital with no confidence whatsoever in the doctors there. I even had a doctor tell me not to bother cleaning ANYTHING AT ALL. I was stunned. I think even if it had been a stomach flu or something much milder cleaning, especially the bathroom, would be beyond advisable but even common sense... Heck, I'm pretty sure the discharge papers just said colitis and never addressed the fact that I had C. Diff...

So anyway, I am looking for a new doctor. In fact I was told just to follow up in a few weeks with my GP. My GP is the one who talke dme out of going to the ER much sooner and also tried to argue I was wrong when I told him about stoamch meds like Prevacid leading to C. Diff and all. So i don't even have a decent GP right now.

I live about 40 minutes away from the University of Michigan and I know how highly rated their hospital is and how much C. Diff research they have done. I would really like to try to see a doctor there. My question is... Should I try to see an ID or a GI? Or both? And will I need my GP to refer me there or anything because I kind of think he'd be against it because it'd be outside of his hospital system and all (which is exactly the point for me, I need an outside opinion!) I've found numbers and stuff online and was thinking of starting with an ID?? I was given absolutely no information about preventing C. Diff from coming back (I'm not even sure I've been on antibiotics long enough and have literally one dose left in 5 hours and am getting nervous about finishing the meds...) In fact if not for the internet I probably would never know that C. Diff is something that can come back. In fact these doctors hardly told me anything at all so I think if I wasn't a knowledge hungry sort of person and hadn't ahd my laptop in the hospital then I likely could've left the hospital knowing almost nothing at all about C. Diff. So that freaks me out and obviously adds to the anxiety! I want to see a doctor who KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT in regards to C. Diff! I feel like I coudl breathe a lot easier then!

So would it be smart to call UMich hospital's ID center Monday morning? Should I call a GI in the area too? I really don't know where to turn and I know I want out of the hospital system I was in. Almost any ID or GI I could see any closer to me than the UMich hospital would almost certainly be affiliated with the large hospital system of the hospital I stayed at. Is it weird to call someone 40 minutes a way? Can I call and request an appointment on my own? I don't exactly know what I'm doing but I know how much I really need to see someone who knows what they are talking about so I can breathe and actually sleep at night! So how do I go about this process?

Nancy1
Administrator

Re: Finding a New Doctor?

Postby Nancy1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Because I had an HMO, I had to get referrals from my primary care doc during my cdiff. First she referred me to a GI doc. He quit on me after my 3rd relapse (without even letting me know that he had quit, he just stopped returning my phone calls). Then I got a referral to an ID doc. She was about 30 minutes away, and she was much better. She let me try pulsing, which is what finally worked for me after 8 months of cdiff.

Some folks have better luck with GI docs, others have better luck with ID docs. I'd say the distance is not so important, as long as you can drive that much without needing a bathroom. So it's up to you. Getting a good doc is a big part of beating cdiff. Good luck.

amymc
New User

Postby amymc » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:34 pm

My recommendation would be to stay with the local GI docs who got you out of the hospital. I'd probably look for a new primary doc.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:27 pm

I had way more luck with older ID's, all the young GI's & ID's were completely useless! Teaching hospitals are a much better place to start searching sometimes these docs are more on the ball with type of illness. Check the doctor's section.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:54 pm

Unless you have an HMO, you can just call and make the appt yourself usually. That is what I would do. Try tomorrow. Look on their website and see who is listed for ID and GI and then call to see when you can get in. Good luck.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:37 pm

As everyone said, check your insurance policy. Sometimes you need a referral; sometimes you don't - it's based on your insurance policy.

The U. of Mich. Med. Center is rated highly. I went there years ago for C. diff. I saw Dr. Fekety - the head of Infectious Diseases. I believe he is now retired although this was in l993 so he is probably not alive as he was older then. You might mention his name and how you are there because of his "fine reputation." Some people swear by ID's -- other have good luck with GI's. Remember, the 3 P's -- be professional, polite, and persisitant.

I know you are upset and anxious -- been there myself -- but please make your posts easier to read.

IHateCDiff
New User

Postby IHateCDiff » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks, everyone. This has been a lot of help. I don't think I will need a referral as I have PPO insurance. I also know I recently asked for a referral to an allergist and found when i called I never needed one. So I will be calling the Infectious Disease Center at the University of Michigan Hospital tomorrow and hoping for the best! And Bobbie, thanks for the info about the doctor you saw. While googling to find the number to call I saw how much research U of M has done on C. Diff and that definitely gives me a lot of hope.

As for making my posts simpler to read, can you tell me exactly what you mean? I tend to be a rambly writer in general and also have a bad habit of sloppy typing I do my best to clean up. But my apologies. I've been so exhausted I haven't had the energy to edit what I write and I'm just so thankful for this website and the way people have managed to still read my ramblings. I'll try to do better as I am definitely feeling better on some levels.

Again, thanks so much. I will try to remember to post an update tomorrow after I call.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”