Dr. Louie

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
musicgirl180
Regular User

Dr. Louie

Postby musicgirl180 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:15 am

I'm back a year and a half later. Episode number 4. No antibiotics again. Hmmmm. I am looking at the possibility of lifelong Vanco. I am considering Dr. Louie's procedure. Do we have anyone here who has been treated by him? I am looking for some information about how safe this procedure is. I would be grateful for any information.

It's hard for me to believe that I am back here again. First episode when I was 30, now 40 (and contending with episode 4--no antibiotics).

I hope Bobbie, Roy and the rest of the gang are well.

Musicgirl

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Dr. Louie

Postby Bobbie » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:11 am

Music Girl,
Glad you figured out how to post.

I don't know anything about Dr. Louie's procedure, but perhaps some of our posters have heard about him and his method. I'm assuming it's a transplant method; some posters have gone through different variations of it.

Four rounds of C. diff. are four rounds too many. There are several other posters who have developed C. diff. after a long period without problems - and no antibiotics. This is scary. In past days, we figured after 6 wks. of reduced or no symptoms, you were "home free."

Best of luck to you. I hope you find some answers.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:14 am

My ID doctor put me in touch with Dr. Louie via e-mail. He sent me his protocol, but I did not do it, as my GI here was nice enough to do transfer for me. You can e-mail Dr. Louie. He is very helpful.

musicgirl180
Regular User

Postby musicgirl180 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Thank you, Beth and Bobbie. I met Dr. Louie about a month ago when he was attending a conference. If you come across anyone who has worked with him, I would love to talk with them. I am hoping to relieve some anxiety--of course that is no easy task when one has cdiff.

Thanks for your replies. Have a wonderful weekend!

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:57 pm

I too, looked into Dr Louie spoke with his assistant. Had to send all my records before even being considered for his treatment, decided to do the infusions at home instead. As Beth mentioned try emailing him.

Also if you read through Dr Borody's method the results are very good.(similar to Dr Louie's procedure) I spoke with his nurse in depth about my concerns with safety and she really put my mind at ease.

Christina
Long Time Contributor

Postby Christina » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:56 am

My GI suggested I see Dr. Louie just recently. Unfortunately, I don't have a passport to go there. I was told though that Dr. Louie has the most experience with the stool transfers/enemas and has a very high success rate. I was also told he does them by colonscopy, enemas, and capsules ( Like taking a pill). Which is something new they are now studying.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:56 pm

So interesting about the capsule, I knew they were studying it but had not heard of anyone actually using it!

Shelleysbelly
Brand New Poster

Postby Shelleysbelly » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:12 pm

I was treated by dr Louie 5 years ago.
it worked immediately
he is amazing and wonderful and making a lot of headway with this disease
he is the head of infectious diseases in Calgary so he knows his stuff

shayner547
Regular User

Postby shayner547 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:12 am

I have spoken with Dr.Louie personally over the phone. He has treated 2 patients with the capsule as they were not able to retain the enema. He said both were still clear of C. Diff. He is a wonderfully open minded Doctor.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:45 pm

Does anyone have more information about this capsule? Is it something that Dr. Louie prepares himself in a lab and how many are given and for how long?

shayner547
Regular User

Postby shayner547 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:13 am

I can't quite remember how many days. I want to say 4. They compound (is that the right word) the donors stool and encapsulate the flora. He had said to me that for the enema I would be in Calgary a couple of days and for the capsule it would be 4 to 5 days.

musicgirl180
Regular User

Postby musicgirl180 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:39 pm

Thanks, all. I head up there next week. Dr. Louie also mentioned a good drug out of Florida. I will look up the name. I just got a call from my friend who studys cdiff proteins in a lab. They are making headway. In the meantime, there is a brand new drug--as good as vanco they say.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidaxomicin

shayner547
Regular User

Postby shayner547 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Does anyone think it will be released in Canada?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:58 pm

The drug is only being tested and my ID checked a few months ago and it is not being prescribed yet - he couldn't even get it for compassionate use, but things may have changed in the last few months. I will call him next week and ask him. I think it was the Fidaximin (sp?).

rimbaud
New User

Postby rimbaud » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:57 pm

Wish I knew how to get my hands on some of those capsules...

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”