Question....

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
shayner547
Regular User

Question....

Postby shayner547 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:07 pm

My immune system is really down with this relapse. I have had this cold for about 5 weeks now. Have a pulled muscle in my neck and I think in my back, but I am starting to wonder if I have a kidney infection. This time when I was hospitalized they said I had a pretty bad uti but I wouldn't let them treat it, antibiotics scare the heck out of me now. So to get to my point I have been taking tylenol and ibuprophen for the aches and fever every 4 hours for the tylenol every 6 for the ibu. If I don't I can't function and I have 4 kids and a husband that works away from home for days at a time. My stools are getting iffy now and I am considering upping the vanc back to 3x's a day. Right now I am tapering and am at 2x/day. Does anyone know if tylenol and Ibu can throw off your flora? I never had a problem before with them, but I am getting worried now. Has anyone had to be put on an antibiotic while they were tapering and how did you fare?

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Re: Question....

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:28 pm

As far as I know Tylenol and Ibuprofen don't upset flora but Ibuprofen is hard on the gut. If you need to treat the UTI the time to do it is now In my Opinion only while you are on the vanco. If you clear the C Diff and the UTI remains you may have to go on antibiotics anyway. Of course you could take vanco then as well to protect against relapse but could get expensive. This is just a thought, not a diagnosis, run it by your doc. I know several other people who are multiple relpasers and take vanco every time they have to take another antibiotic to prevent relapse. I have only had to take Cipro for 3 days since 2008, excluding multiple rounds of vanco and xifaxin for the C diff. The Cipro was for a bad tooth until I had root canal.

rhona
Regular Contributor

Postby rhona » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:38 am

Don't let the UTI turn into a kidney infection. I have had reoccuring UTI's since Cdiff. I had to go on several antibiotics while on vanco. I refused to take any of the stronger ones. I would only take macrobid. And I didn't end up taking the full course I would do 3-5 days because even that made me iffy. But it was enough to get rid of the infection. I agree with Jeff, I would feel much better about taking an antibiotic while on vanco than when I was off of it. There are some natural things you can take also.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

Postby Mia-Mia » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:39 am

agree with both, UTI can go to Kidneys and for sure you will get a fever. Take the Macrobid. Your on Vanco, Hang in there. Again just my opinion not a doc. Also ask the Doc about bing on the 2 antibiotics

shayner547
Regular User

Postby shayner547 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:13 pm

Okay, so I went to the Doctor and I have pnuemonia and a bladder infection. Prescribed zithromax and avelox. He is aware that I am being treated for c. diff. He prescribed the vanc! I'm not too sure what to do. Did i read on here that these class of drugs can cause c diff in an already normal person? I argued with him about taking these and he just said that the main concern was the pnuemonia and that we'd deal with the c. diff later. Am I in a huff over nothing? Or am I going down the right thinking path?

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:26 pm

Did your doctor order specific tests?? Chest x-ray and/ or sputum culture are the definitive tests for pneumonia.

A doctor can listen to your lungs with a stethoscope. He may hear wheezing. However, I would not take antibiotics until you know you have a bacterial infection.

In my opinion, a chest x ray is the best test for diagnosing pneumonia. However, this test won’t tell your doctor what kind of germ is causing the pneumonia.

A complete blood count (CBC) measures many parts of your blood, including the number of white blood cells in the blood sample. The number of white blood cells can show whether you have a bacterial infection.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

shayner547
Regular User

Postby shayner547 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:58 pm

I had a chest x-ray and a cbc. The CBC came back elevated and the chest x-ray showed that I have a part of my lung that is infected, but not phlem test. I argued with him about broad spectrum antibiotics and he still said I need to take them. I am going to try the natural root with fenugreek tea 4x per day and garlic and vitamin c. I have emailed my ID Doc in Calgary and am waiting to hear what he suggests.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:14 pm

Sounds like a damn if you do and damn if you don't situation. I would do what my gut/heart tells me!!!! It's not unheard of to take Vanco along with another antibiotic due to bacteria infection while having C-Diff. I'm really not knowledgeable in regard to antibiotic usage while having active C-Diff or post C-Diff. Good Luck to you!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

Postby Mia-Mia » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:39 pm

Thisis not to mess with WE ARE NOT DOCS here, pnemounia that is serious. PLEASE PLEASE FOLLOW YOUR DOCTORS ORDERS OR GO FOR A SECOND OPINION if you font agree dont self medicate.

rhona
Regular Contributor

Postby rhona » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:39 am

I agree with Mia Mia. You don't want to end up hospitalized then you will be on an even stronger antibiotic. You need to follow your doctors orders or get a second opinion. Your on vanco now. Better now than when you are right off vanco. What dose are you on? Maybe ask your doctor if you can up the vanco while taking the z-pack.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”