Barium and Flora

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Barium and Flora

Postby MelanieW » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:55 am

Do any of you have a first hand experience with Barium CT scans and what it might or might not do to your intestional flora? I am only able to have a semi-normal stool for the past 3 weeks if I take Pepto Bismol. The doctor is pushing hard for this test but I'm worried it will wipe out my flora once again. Any opinions would be appreciated.
Melanie

MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Postby MelanieW » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:08 pm

Does Bentyl help "dry" things up as in stop diarrhea? Or does it just stop pain/spasms?
Melanie

Bobbie
Administrator

Again!!!

Postby Bobbie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:00 pm

MelanieW,
Once again, you've posted more than once about your own problems. Enough! The rules apply to everyone. Usually, "three strikes and you are out." You've had more than three strikes. You are not "out" yet, but think before you post. Please don't PM me re. this. I'm not going to be on the site for several days.

Just follow the rules - like everyone else does.

Read the second forum:
ALL USERS READ THIS FIRST
To Use this site- you must read, understand and agree to all of these conditions. If you don't, then please leave now and do not post or read any messages.

MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Postby MelanieW » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:09 am

You are right and I apologize.
Melanie

JenniferH
Regular Contributor

Postby JenniferH » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:12 pm

This didn't do anything to my flora, but it did give me D for 24hours.
If you had a colonoscopy, there is no need for a CT scan, a CT scan can't see anything, according to 2 of my docs. The only way a CT scan can see anything is, if the intestinal walls are severely thickened. A CT makes no sense, and its a waste of $$ in my opinion.

pwood62
Regular Contributor

Postby pwood62 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:44 pm

I had a CT scan BEFORE I repeat BEFORE I was diagnosed with C-Diff and when they were trying to figure out what was wrong with me. You know what is wrong with you! You had a major infection in the largest organ of your body! It takes along time to heal. You are driving yourself crazy and those around you with these unecessary tests! This is tough love now. STOP! You only live once and every day is precious. Enjoy the fact that you are C-Diff free and alive! You are wasting precious time worrying about this. As far as a little D in the mornings many people here (including myself) have experienced this and it is no big deal! Deal with it and move on with your day and your life. If it bothers you alot take an Immodium. I think you are obsessing about this too much and people are getthing exasperated. Sorry to be tough Melanie but enough is enough!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:51 am

A CT scan is used to check out other organs like the liver and pancreas. I had one done after I had been c diff free last year for about 3 or 4 months and started losing a lot of weight. The doctor first checked liver enzymes and pancreatic enzymes and my pancreatic enzymes were high, so they sent me for the CT scan to look for abnormalities in the pancreas. But, before you agree to the test, ask the doctor to do a simple blood test to check for any abnormalities in the pancreas or liver. If those tests come back normal, then you will just be irritating your colon more with the barium. Most insurance companies will not certify a CT scan or an MRI unless there is a good reason for one. In my case the pancreatic enzyme test was reason enough, as you can't really diagnose pancreatitis and pancreatic tumors without imaging. They did not find anything wrong on my test. Ask the doctor WHY he wants to do the test - make him give you a reason of what he is looking for. If he does not give you a good reason, I would not do it. You are entitled to an answer from the doctor - you have to pay for the test and have a right to know what he is looking for.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:55 am

Melanie, If you are that worried about it, then don't do it. I always follow my "GUT" feeling. I'm fifteen months post c-diff and still get concern if I have a bad day with "D". Anyone that had c-diff would feel the same, as it's a horrible beast that gets to your self-esteem. I won't go for a colonoscopy anymore as I'm afraid that it might disturnbed the food flora. Being scared is not bad; It keeps you in check. Take care and enjoy your good health!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”