question about prednisone and c-diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
klt03301
Long Time Contributor

question about prednisone and c-diff

Postby klt03301 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi all,

I haven't been on for quite some time. I've been busy getting married to a hunky firefighter and settling into marriage after 28 years of being single.

I was in a pretty bad auto accident a couple of weeks ago and injured my neck. In a collar until MRI next week. I've developed shingles and doc has put me on anti-viral med (Valtrex) along w/prednisone taper: 60 mgs first day (today), then decrease by 10 mgs until gone. Have not taken it yet.

Here's my question: I know my immune system is already compromised, otherwise I wouldn't have shingles. I'm afraid to take the prednisone because it will suppress my immune system. The reason she gave it to me is to try to avoid postherpetic neuralgia:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/posthe ... ia/ds00277

Does anyone know if someone's taken prednisone and had a relapse of c-diff?

Also, I've had 7 rounds of abx for UTIs since last July (2 of those Augmentin) w/o relapse. Yay! Last abx was Macrobid in March of this year. I have chronic UTIs since C-Diff. :-/. Don't want to suppress my immune system w/prednisone since I've taken all this.

Doc has assured me anti-viral will not cause relapse of C-Diff but don't know about prednisone. It was given to me in hospital 2/08 b/c I'm allergic to shellfish and they needed a CT scan of abdomen w/contrast, along with antibiotics. Went in for hysterectomy and came home with C-Diff. This is another reason I'm afraid to take it.

Bobbie, I know you've had problems with your lungs; have you taken prednisone w/o relapse of C-Diff?

Thanks for any responses!

Karen

HEATHER28
Long Time Contributor

Postby HEATHER28 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:00 pm

Karen,

First of all Congrats on getting married!! Second so sorry to hear of your accident :O(. I have taken prednisone and have had no problems at all. I took it almost a year ago for back problems. Just this past year I found out that I have degenerative arthritis in my lower spine. This I know has no connection to having Cdiff as my father had the same thing and it is hereditary.

I also have had UTI's since Cdiff and never had them before. Is there a connection with the UTI's and having had Cdiff?? I am not sure. All I know is that I have taken antibiotics 3 times since Cdiff and I have had no problems at all. I really hope that you start feeling better soon. I know that Shingles are so very painfull!

Good Luck! Please keep us (me) posted on how you are doing!
Heather

Cdiff free 7yrs! Cdiff left me with IBS but, I am dealing with it!!
"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for. Perfection is god's business." Michael J. Fox

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Karen,
Wonderful news, I'm so happy for you!

As for the questions I'm not much help, but wanted to add my congrats :)

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Karen, Check out Lactoferrin (it's a supplement)on the internet. My husband has kidney disease and this supplement has improved his overall kidney funtioning. Reports that I have read state that it helps the immune system. He takes 250 mg. each day... I would suggest to print out articles and present your findings to your doctor. You have nothing to lose!!!!
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

Bobbie
Administrator

Karen

Postby Bobbie » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:37 pm

Karen,
Congrats. on the "hunky" fireman. H e sounds good to me.

I took lots of prednisone when I had asthma (both inhaled and oral) and it didn't affect my C. diff. in any way. Do try to get off it ASAP if possible, however, -- good med., lots of side effects. Exercise has improved my asthma a lot - especially aerobic.

Best of luck.

Gee
New User

Postby Gee » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:54 pm

hi. i took prednisone for almost 2 1/2 months. I started at 40mg and tapered after that. I took it for a colitis flare-up that I had after having cdiff over 2 years ago. I never was sick before then. I was taking prednisone, asacol, and warfarin for the freakish bloodclot that I got. I did not take any probiotics or yogurt. The worst thing from the prednisone and the other carnival of drugs that I was taking was that I got a disgusting boil on my abdomen, but I got rid of it with topical cream. I don't think it supresses your immune system unless you are on it for some time. In fact, my wife is a school teacher and she brought home every cold and flu this past winter and I never got so much as a runny nose. Ask your doctor and bother him/her every step of the way for reassurance.

klt03301
Long Time Contributor

Postby klt03301 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks so much for the replies! They've helped so much! I'll take the prednisone - the shingles pain is pretty bad.

Thanks for all the congrats! My hunky husband has been taking excellent care of me. :-D He's not afraid of much, even C-Diff!

Roy - laughing so hard! Yes, C-Diff convinced me to dump the other one who couldn't handle the "beast." In many ways, believe it or not, I've benefited from getting the mess.

Life has definitely changed for the better!!! Oh and I know you said to put this in TMI, but...my love life is fantastic! Hahahaha!

I can tolerate foods/beverages I couldn't prior to C-Diff. I used to eat to live...now I really enjoy my food and I'll eat just about anything. I've even had BEER and hamburgers! I like beer! ;-)

Kathy, I'll try what you recommended. Thanks so much for that suggestion.

Heather, I'm so sorry to hear of your back problems and UTIs. Ugh. Glad to hear, though, that you've remained C-Diff free after the abx!

Bobbie, Gee and Mommy...thanks to all of you, also, for your replies.

It's so good to hear from folks I've come to know and trust on this site! Hugs to you all!

kitkatbek
Regular Contributor

Postby kitkatbek » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:20 am

Congrats to the marriage. You can toleratefoods that you couldn'tbefore Cdiff? That very interesting. do you contribute that to anything?

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”