pain and spasms

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

pain and spasms

Postby beth22 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:02 am

I am now about 3 months post meds. My c diff tests have all been negative. I have had some days with D*, but only a day or so. Lately I have had a few episodes of cramping and I can actually feel spasms in the intestines. Generally this was on a day that I ended up with the D* and I figured that it was either something I ate or something that irritated the bowel. Last night I got the pain and the spams, but it was just the opposite - very difficult to go, not exactly C, but definitely not D*.

I don't really understand what is going on. Is this also part of recovery? I have been taking 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. of Pepto Bismol as per doctor's instructions with lunch and dinner. I don't know if maybe it is time to stop that, or cut back to once a day.

The only other new thing is an estrogen cream that I use about 1-2 times a week. Have any of the women experienced IBS symptoms when using HRT or these types of creams?

I don't know what to take for the spams. Medicines like Donnatal, Levsin, Librax are supposed to help spasms, but they also tend to C and I don't need that. But, if I eat fiber, I get the opposite. This is really confusing. It's like there's a new surprise around every corner. You make progress in one area and then your colon reminds you that it is still there.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Tue May 25, 2010 3:52 pm

I tell you what I finally did for the spasms because mine would go on for 4-5 hours and PAINFUL where I can't get to work or the gym so I got Percocet. It works for me and allows me to live. I don't need it every day but I do need at times. I suffered hard for months trying Levsin, Hycosamine, Bentyl, nothing helped. I am amazed the pain those cramps can cause and I will have D if I am in relapse mode or may not have D at all if recovering but the pain is the same, especially in the mornings. Between that and Lunesta to sleep and the Vanco, it made this disease tolerable and me able to function and feel like if I relapse, no biggie, I have the weapons to fight it and function.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:18 pm

I remember that some older posters said it took about 18 months or so to feel pretty good. Has that been anyone's experience or is it less/more? I get so depressed when I think that I was able to eat anything before c diff and now I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat a tomato, salad, veggies, an ice cream, etc. etc. It puts me into a deep dark hole of depression where I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

My mom had this, yet she can eat pretty much normally. She had more antibiotics after c diff though and also took diflucan. Maybe the diflucan helped - I don't know. I guess no one does.

Vikingjeff28
Long Time Contributor

Postby Vikingjeff28 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:30 pm

I know the feeling, my wife says I never eat what seh cooks. Tonight she has homemade chili going for the boys and her and I can't even think about that! Between my GERD and C diff I may as well eat it in the bathroom....

ginabc
Contributor

Postby ginabc » Tue May 25, 2010 5:07 pm

sorry to hear about this for you Beth. I was trying to eat more last night and today. I ate oat bran bread and today I have frequent trips to bathroom and it is very soft. I guess that gets taken off the list. I find that the heating pad, hot showers and hot baths help with pain.
Ginbc going beat this thing just dont know when............

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Beth:

For the colon spasms I've found that either Nulev, or Bentyl seem to be effective.

Fire

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

pain and spasms

Postby Mia-Mia » Tue May 25, 2010 9:03 pm

I have to say about 20 months before the bad spasms left. i swore everytime i got the horrible pain and then d for 2 days that i had relapsed. I even retested and negative. Last really really bad cramps were this past Nove 09 SO EVEN though scared everytime I feel so much better. it has been 2 years this past FEB. C DIFF scares the you know what out of us. the fear goes away a little but still stays with us. YOU WILL PULL THROUGH

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Mia - How often did you get the spasms approximately? Weekly? Monthly? Once in a while? With me it seems to be on average about every two weeks or so. The strange part is that a food that will seem to trigger it one time won't be the culprit the next time and I might even be able to tolerate it in between. There is no rhyme or reason to the attacks - they just come, like my body is trying to clean itself out or something. It does not always culminate in D*, but at least loose bms.

Fire - I have used Bentyl before - did not help. I just got an Rx for Librax which I haven't taken in 30 years, but will try. What is Nulev - an anti-spasmodic too?

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:12 am

Nulev is a anti-spasmodic used under the tongue Dicyclomine hydrochloride

Fire

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

pains

Postby Mia-Mia » Wed May 26, 2010 10:55 pm

OMG SAME HERE. the food thing I would have a bagel one day with no problems next time i would get sick no reason used margarine each time. the pains would come every 3 weeks or so for a few days. usually 2 days. Only thing that for sure bothers me still is lettuce!! and sins on fruits. i can eat steak chicken no problem for a few weeks then bang. I have kept a food diary there is no reason. I AM so much better and farther in between pain and D now.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 27, 2010 12:14 am

Mia - Did you take any probiotics or supplements that helped you during those 20 months and do you still take anything now? Just wondering if the VSL#3 is doing anything at this point. It doesn't seem like it.

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Fri May 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Beth, I'm around 14 months post C-diff and still get spasms from eating specific foods. I just don't let is consume me anymore. If I would get severe "D", more than a few days, then that would cause me concern. Your symptoms are probably part of recovery from c-diff. For some, it takes longer than others.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

erika4223
Brand New Poster

Stomach Spasms

Postby erika4223 » Mon May 31, 2010 4:35 pm

Hey guys new to website. Was going through a few of your notes. I myself was diagnosed with Cdiff, and relapsed, or they believe never went away, im on my second case of cdiff and its very painful this time around because my stomach is even more weak.But reading most of your post. my doctor prescribed me Belladonna, which really really helps the stomach spasms and i found it also helped me go to sleep and be able to sleep a whole night through.The medication is wonderful. I was prescribed 2 every 8 hours.I'm just now trying to figure out how to get rid of the cdiff this time around!

diane
Long Time Contributor

Postby diane » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:36 pm

I still get spasms once in a blue moon.. I know that ibs can cause the muscle spasms too and where you can either have loose stools with the pain or not so loose and still be in pain.. I also had leg cramps terribly for a couple years and still get them on occassion.

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:44 pm

erika4223,
Welcome to the group that no one wants to join. Be sure to read All Users Read This First, Dr. Borody's article, Dr. McDonald's article (in the FAQ section under Articles by Experts), and all areas in FAQ that interest you.

Thanks for sharing the info about Belladonna. It's great that as a new poster you are already helping others. What finally kicked cdiff for me, after 8 months, was pulsing. See the FAQ section for more info. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”