Very promising!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
markjs
New User

Very promising!

Postby markjs » Mon May 24, 2010 2:08 pm

Vancomycin just has not done the trick as I have been taking it for years and the only time I felt OK is while I was taking it. I found a new drug through a Google search and one other thing; capsaicin!

The drug is nitazoxanide, which is an anti parasitic they have been using on children for years. It's brand name is Alinia and Annita and others, but it is something non standard, which is usually good against bacteria that have adapted to the first line antibiotics.

The capsaicin is in the form of the hottest peppers you can find. I have a feeling very few folks here eat much in the way of chili peppers but I just started craving them all of a sudden. I know some of you are probably thinking there is no way you could handle it, but you should know that hot peppers are tolerance building. I can't speak for anyone else but I went from barely being able to handle spicy Doritos or mild Salsa to starting to add powdered cayenne and jalapeño Tabasco to everything that might taste good with some heat in just over a week! I had no idea what it would do; I just saw a show on cable about hot peppers. I used to work in a Tex-Mex restaurant, and would eat the hottest of the hot, but over the years just sort of stopped and lost my tolerance. But like I said, if you just forge ahead slowly increasing it gets easier quickly and they have such a nice flavor in addition to the heat. I know folks who hate the heat but still detect that exquisite undertone.

In any case I just did some searching on capsaicin and digestive health and capsaicin is thought to do many thing which make the digestive tract quite unfriendly to our nasty little microscopic squatters! What's more I am at the end of my course of Alinia and I got CONSTIPATED! I know, what a thing to be excited about huh? It hasn't happened to me in years! I can't say because I am on about day 9, but this seems to me to be very promising! I am feeling different and having different bowel characteristics than I ever had since I was first diagnosed.

Has this worked for anyone else? I suggest if you can do hot peppers it is so worth a try to get back into it. There are TONS of health benefits and nary a negative. The ONLY thing I found is that Mexicans have a higher instance of stomach cancer but that is not proven, yet Mexicans also have above average h-pylori infections too which is definitely a problem. Let me know if this helps you! I am so optimistic and excited I could do a little dance! Maybe I will!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:07 pm

The ID doctor I saw last year uses Alinia as a chaser to vanco in many of his patients and says he has had success with it for stubborn cases of c diff. I took a Xifaxan chaser - relapsed after abut 104 days though.

Mommy23
Long Time Contributor

Postby Mommy23 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:45 pm

Interesting info, thanks for sharing.
I have an RX for alinia sitting in my closet, maybe I should try it as I'm still having terrible symptoms. Glad to hear you've got some relief.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”