Help! Sinus infection? IDK

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Help! Sinus infection? IDK

Postby MelanieW » Mon May 17, 2010 10:24 pm

Posting this separately cause I need answers quickly... :-)
When I went in for my scope this morning I had a low grade fever...tonight I'm blowing green out my nose! and my throat is a little sore too. What do you guys do (herbally) for a sinus infection? A sinus infection and the treatment thereof is what gave me c.diff in the first place. I have to go back to work wednesday so need answers fast so I can go pick up the "right" or "recommended" herbal remedies/vitamins from the health food store tomorrow. Thanks in advance!!
Melanie

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:22 pm

I posted in your other post under TMI, but sinus rinses or a neti pot help many. Decongestants are also good if you tolerate them. One poster put that if you boil an onion and breathe the steam it helps to open things up. I think she also put garlic into the pot. I never tried it, but I don't think it can hurt and she swore by it. My friends tell me that the sinus rinses work well.

rhona
Regular Contributor

Postby rhona » Tue May 18, 2010 8:54 am

Do lots of sinus rinses! My doctor told me to mix a tiny bit (about 1/2 tsp) Akalol in with the rinse. That has been a huge help with knocking mine out. It's Akalol NOT alcochol. You can get it at the pharmacy. My pharmacy had to special order it. Ask your doctor about it first to make sure it's okay for you to use. I have done that, along with Advil Cold & Sinus. And you can also get something called "Shower Soothers". You put it in the shower and it helps open things up. Migrastick also helps relieve the pain. The rinses will be what you need to do to get rid of the infection. The Advil, shower soothers, and migrastick just help with the pain.
Good luck.

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:13 pm

This is going to sound weird, but I personally know of 6 friends that have chronic sinus issues. All of them have gone to a Acupuncturist for treatment of the sinuses and none of them have had a problem all winter and this spring. I don't understand how it works, but 6 for 6 is hard to ignore.

Fire

MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Postby MelanieW » Tue May 18, 2010 7:26 pm

What I'm afraid of is that this "infection" might lower my immune system and I might have a relapse....does that make sense or am I missing the boat here?
Melanie

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

infection

Postby Mia-Mia » Tue May 18, 2010 10:20 pm

I take cold eze it really helps me. Do the Vicks. Dont worry about your immune system can handle this you will get thru this. It will pass. careful about the nasal rinses sometimes they cause more discharge.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Wed May 19, 2010 6:07 pm

I am also an advocate of acupuncture for sinus issues. Sinus pressure and headache absolutely. The first time I ever tried acupuncture was for a god awful sinus headach...pain all the way down my jaw, hurt just to blink my eyes. After the first treatment, I walked out with a mild dull headache. Because it was so bad, I went back the next day and walked out with no presurre and no pain at all. And, it never returned all spring...which is when I would encounter sinus issues. Ever since, if I feel my sinuses acting up I go right away and I'm good for the season. I did not have an infection though...pain, congestion and presssure, but not what I would have considered infection.

rhona
Regular Contributor

Postby rhona » Wed May 19, 2010 8:09 pm

I never knew you could treat a sinus infection with acupunture. It sounds amazing. I'm going to have to find a practioner! Do you have to wait until the pain starts? Or could you get one when you are feeling fine as a preventive like in the fall before everything starts?

Bobbie
Administrator

Sinus Irrigation

Postby Bobbie » Thu May 20, 2010 1:45 am

I had chronic sinus problems for years -- this is what "got me" C. diff. (Have also had 3 surgeries.)

Saline irrigation helps -- a lot. See FAQ-Infections- Resp., Sinus, Ear, Bronchitis, Strep, Misc. See the last post. Do the rinses twice a day --- more if you have an infection. If this doesn't work, see a good ENT. And, as usual, check with your doc. before trying anything new.

Mucinex and decongestants can help. Afrin 24 hour (extra moisturing) nasal spray can be used for 3-4 days before you have a "rebound" effect. (Decongestants can cause your blood pressure to rise if you have BP problems.)

If you have questions about any of the above, call your doctor or pharmacist.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Thu May 20, 2010 4:10 pm

I don't know if acupuncture would help a sinus issue that has been determined to be an actual 'infection'. But for me when i get the first signs of the sinus pressure and sinus headache...which for me is in the spring...if I go and have acupuncture the minute the discomfor starts, it will release the pain and pressure and it will last the whole season.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”