colonoscopy prep and relapse??? I need you!

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MelanieW
Regular Contributor

colonoscopy prep and relapse??? I need you!

Postby MelanieW » Wed May 12, 2010 10:32 am

Question: How many of you have had a colonoscopy prep that brought on a relapse? And if so, how long were you off the meds before the test? I have one scheduled for Monday and will be off meds 4 weeks that day. They are doing it because I am continuing to lose weight. I don't want to relapse! They have a 48 hour cancellation thing or they charge you so I have to decide by tomorrow..... Thanks!!!!
Melanie

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 12, 2010 10:43 am

Melanie,
I had a number of scopes without a relapse. In the ten years I've moderated this site, I can't remember anyone (or few) who who had a relapse of C. diff. after a scope.

Discuss your fears with your GI. You and he/she are the ones to make this decision. The scope can have risks (as can any procedure or medication), but it can tell the doc. a lot. Ask if he/she is going to do biopsies -- they are sometimes helpful.

One hint : the prep will be either "Golitely" (a poorly named drink) or lax. pills with a lot of water. Either way: fill an 8 oz. glass,"chug" it, set a timer for l hour, and then repeat the process. Start as early as the directions say. It's the worst part of the procedure.

Good luck.

MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Postby MelanieW » Wed May 12, 2010 10:48 am

Bobbie, how long were you off meds when you had the first one? I'm scared!! I don't want to go backwards...Having almost normal bms now...Lord have mercy! What to do?
Melanie

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:31 am

I sent you a pm. There are different products out there for preps. Some are harsher than others.

JenniferH
Regular Contributor

Postby JenniferH » Wed May 12, 2010 11:42 am

I had a colonoscopy at the end of March. I did not have a relapse. In fact it seemed to help! I was completely normal afterwards for a full month & a half. Now I'm slowly starting to get back where I was with the M.
This is not because of the colonoscopy though!
You really need to get checked out, and see if any damage was done to your colon. I almost canceled my appointment because I didnt want to do it, I was scared. I'm glad I did though, because I know where I stand with my intestines. I have a very very mild form of colitis. They aren't going to treat it, and I have to let it clear up on its own. The Doc offered enemas, but I decided not to go that route, since enemas deplete the gut flora, and cause m!
The worst part was the drink/prep I had to drink. It tasted like saltwater. Ugh. The colonoscpy was easy, and fast. I was in & out of there.

MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Postby MelanieW » Wed May 12, 2010 12:12 pm

So Jennifer, you were around 30 days off meds when you had your scope done?
Melanie

JenniferH
Regular Contributor

Postby JenniferH » Wed May 12, 2010 3:14 pm

I was actually 60 days off meds. During that time I thought I was relapsing. I took another test, right before and it was neg. The Doc said he would do it regardless if I was relapsing or not.

JenniferH
Regular Contributor

Postby JenniferH » Wed May 12, 2010 3:17 pm

Just wanted to add to the last post, I thought I was relapsing BEFORE the colonoscopy. Not after.

MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Postby MelanieW » Wed May 12, 2010 3:59 pm

Gotcha! Thanks, guys! I'm going ahead with it....just need to calm my fears....with my family history and all this months of sickness, just need to get it overwith. My dad's doctor just told him last fall that my brother and I should begin these tests at 40.....I'm 45 and this is 1st one so long overdue anyway. Hey, maybe I'll get some good rest while they have me "out"....haven't been resting well at night! LOL
Melanie

Bobbie
Administrator

ONE POST A DAY RE. YOURSELF

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 12, 2010 4:58 pm

MelanieW
I don't remember how long I was off meds. It was a long time ago. There were no support systems or support sites then -- both in l979 when my son had C. diff., when he developed it again 6 yrs. later or in l993-l997 when I had C. diff. and then again in l999.

I'm sure you will do fine. If you have medical questions, call your doc. We can tell you what worked for us but can't give medical opinions -- we are not qualified.

pwood62
Regular Contributor

Postby pwood62 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:14 pm

I did not relapse when I had my colonoscopy. In fact I felt great for a week afterwards. It was after that I started the healing process which I think everyone here will agree is not fun and will not happen overnight. I was so relieved after I had it and they told me everything looked fine and no C-Diff! Like you it needed to be done because of my family history. My Dad died too young of colon cancer. This was completely preventable and could have been caught. I intend on having one once a year per GI. They are not the greatest experiences as far as prep goes but you are in a twilite sleep and I came home and slept the rest of the day which was much needed rest!

MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Postby MelanieW » Wed May 12, 2010 9:03 pm

I called and talked about my fears with my doc's nurse....she made me feel better I know you aren't giving medical advice....just needed ex"eriences.
and YES the rest is much needed....LOL What a way to get it!
Melanie

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

colonoscopy

Postby Mia-Mia » Wed May 12, 2010 10:38 pm

I had my colonoscopy 2 weeks off of meds. I DID NOT RELAPSE< Good luck let us know how it goes. I was happy i did it it ruled out lot of things

MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Postby MelanieW » Thu May 13, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks so very much! Monday at noon.....think of me and pray for me please.
Melanie

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”