C diff and low levels of vitamin D

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

C diff and low levels of vitamin D

Postby beth22 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:33 pm

A friend sent me an interesting article regarding having worse D* with c diff if you have low levels of vitamin D.

http://tinyurl.com/2vsmj28

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:48 am

Wow, the high mortality rates in these cdiff patients are really scary. In fact, they are so high that I wonder if this is a misprint.

Mia-Mia
Regular Contributor

mortality

Postby Mia-Mia » Thu May 13, 2010 9:27 pm

YES GOTTA NE A MISPRINT I just got this off of WEB MD. death can be up to 25% in the elderly and frail. But the can also be said with the flu in the elderly the rate was higher.

Mortality/Morbidity
While most patients with C difficile colitis recover without specific therapy, symptoms may be prolonged and debilitating. C difficile associated diarrhea can be a serious condition with a mortality rate as high as 25% in elderly patients who are frail. Reports that focus on patients who are more seriously ill indicate mortality rates of 10-30%. Mortality rates have also risen over the past decade and reflect an increase in admissions and the

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:48 pm

I re-read the article. I don't think it is a misprint, and I don't think it means that ALL of these patients died of c diff. They probably died of whatever else they had and they also got c diff. Some may have died of the c diff, but most likely they died of whatever else they were in the hospital for - cancer - heart conditions, whatever.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Sun May 16, 2010 2:19 pm

Interesting re: vitamin D connection. I am post-infectious IBS, not still cdiff positive. But nothing helps my IBS and I just had my vitamin D tested and it is at level 8....they like it to be between 22-45. Tried one vitamin D supplement and it killed my stomach. Trying to find one now without any additives.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:06 pm

I can't take the pills either. I bought a liquid vitamin D that you spray under your tongue and is supposed to get absorbed sublingually. I got it online from Dr. Mercola products. It doesn't bother my intestines. I also got a B-12 like that, but haven't tried it yet. There are also sublingual pills you can get for B-12 - Twin Labs makes them. The only other vitamin D that I tried was a liquid from Costco - it does have additives though - cane sugar was one. I did ok with that if I took it with my dinner. The spray is easier though. I was told that any levels of D under 30 was not enough.

MaryT
Regular Contributor

Postby MaryT » Sun May 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Thanks Beth, I will definitively look for the spray!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 17, 2010 3:38 pm

MaryT & other who need Vit. D.

Try Vitamin D3 (1000 IU) by Freeda Vitamins, Inc. (Long Island City, NY).
The bottle says: no gluten, no lactose, no articifical colors, no artificial flavors, no sugar or starch, no gelatin, no yeast.

A bottle costs around $5.50 (100 tablets). You can order it from Walgreen's. Vit. D is fat soluable -- it stays in the body so you can take "too much." Most calcium supplements also contain Vit. D. I "ran my meds. by an "expert." He thinks I am on too much Vit. D so I am going to ask for a test.

It's hard work keeping up your health after C. diff.!

I, too, have IBS -- some days are good; some are "bad." Eventually, I decided to go for "quality" instead of "quantity" of life and eat what I want -- within reason. I got tired of wondering, " "Should I eat ????"

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”