ON VANCO Taper

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
ginabc
Contributor

ON VANCO Taper

Postby ginabc » Tue May 11, 2010 3:08 pm

I didnt know if anyone knows the answer to my question?
I am on VANCO taper. Now I take one 125 VANCO per day. Tomorrow I go to one 125 VANCO every other day for 2 weeks.
Is the one VANCO per day killing all my bacteria? Or is it killing most of it within 6 hours of dose and then slowly throughout the day I am rebuilding good flora?
I am just confused by what the reason for the taper is (medically) and what biologically it is doing.
I am still having some symtoms and each day is different but am trying to keep a positive attitude that this is healing.
I also need advise on what HIGH FAT HIGH CALORIE foods I can add.
I have been eating alot more (quantity) but it is all no or low fat. Chicken,turkey,ground beef,rice, rice cakes,eggs. I make a rice protein drink every night before bed because I just cant eat right before I feel to bloated. I am still losing weight and want to stop it and stay where I am at.
Ginbc going beat this thing just dont know when............

fire7163
Long Time Contributor

Postby fire7163 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:22 pm

The concept behind a taper is to keep knocking the C-diff down and at the same time allowing your good flora a opportunity to re-establish itself to where your immune system recovers to the point that it can control the C-diff. Hence the diminishing dosage of Vanco.

As for food, everyone's different. My GI loves the see it, want it, then eat it, diet.
If something doesn't work then put it on the list to try again at a later date.

Fire

MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Postby MelanieW » Wed May 12, 2010 4:05 pm

Gina, I'm considering twinkies, angelfood cake and maybe a honeybun for dessert for dinner tonight....maybe have a a coca-cola to wash it all down! LOL
Actually, I have the same questions.....greasy foods I haven't tried yet and haven't tried anything zesty at all....I'm too scared. Silly I guess but just tired of freaking out about the whole mess! LOL
Worn myself out! Now, I'll be freaking out on here again tomorrow most likely so don't be sur"rised! LOL
Melanie

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”