C Diff related to Prilosec, Nexium & other heartburn dru

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
nolagirl
Contributor

C Diff related to Prilosec, Nexium & other heartburn dru

Postby nolagirl » Mon May 10, 2010 7:08 pm

New study links Prilosec and others to increased risk of C Diff. This study was on the CBS Nightly News tonight, but the link to the video has not yet been posted. So, I found the study information here:

http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/new ... flux-drugs

Kathy George
Long Time Contributor

Postby Kathy George » Tue May 11, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks for the info..... My husband takes Nexiium and for many years. Need to talk with family doctor in regard to this article.
I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

johnev
New User

Postby johnev » Tue May 11, 2010 11:08 am

I was in and out of the hospital for a total of three weeks this winter with pneumonia and a few other things. Anyway I was on several different antibiotics both orally and iv. They gave me prilosec the whole time I was in and I also was taking it when I got home for a while. It was the perfect storm for the c diff I ended up with! I'm still on tapering vanco for a few more months. Chances are I would have gotten c diff even if I hadn't been taking the prilosec, but it certainly didn't help matters.

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”