nausea after c-diff

This forum is for discussions related to C. diff. including symptoms, doctors, medical advances, medications, If you are a new poster (joined within the last month), you can post more often for two months from your date of joining. After that time, one post per day only about "you." You can post more often to support others. Post other topics in Free Form Discussion and Chat Forum.
MelanieW
Regular Contributor

nausea after c-diff

Postby MelanieW » Tue May 04, 2010 9:49 pm

OK. I am sure this has been discussed many times on this site but since I am unsure of where an individual is in their stage of the "beast", I decided to just ask outright.

I have been off meds for 16 days. I am having nausea that begins in the mornings (sometimes the wee hours - it wakes me) and lasts until mid to late afternoon. Has anyone else had this? I am taking anti nausea meds which only take the edge off. This started on day 12 of being off the meds. I truly believe I still have it....I have had 3 stool tests all negative but I know that 2 of those were handled totally wrong....(sat at doc's off for about 5 hours before being taken to the lab).

Thanks in advance!
Melanie

cindym
Long Time Contributor

Postby cindym » Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 am

Melanie- the fact you have been off meds this long without any other symptoms than nausea is a good sign. I have struggled with nausea for a long time and never been able to be off meds for more than 5-6 days without the violent p.colitis hitting me. I think it is normal (in my opinion) to experience nausea while your flora is trying to readjust to normal living again. I would give it some time as long as other symptoms are not popping up. Gingerale really helps (through a straw in small sips) and phenergan is a life saver. In the beginning they gave me phenergan and zofran together and it did not help. Hang in there!
Cindy

pwood62
Regular Contributor

Postby pwood62 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:05 pm

I agree wtih Cindy! Plus I think you are taking alot of Probiotics. Florastor in particular made me very nauseated. I think the gut is just trying to re-adjust and this is all normal.

Hua Kul
Regular Contributor

Postby Hua Kul » Wed May 05, 2010 9:16 pm

MelanieW, none of us is qualified to diagnose an illness, but I want to let you know that nausea is a classic symptom of a cdiff infection of the cecum, the pouch to which the appendix attaches, located just before the ascending colon. This causes D in only about 6% of cases. A few weeks ago I was discussing this with a friend who's young son had recovered from cdiff, but subsequently began to suffer from debilitating nausea, to the point where he could not attend school.

--Hua Kul

MelanieW
Regular Contributor

Postby MelanieW » Wed May 05, 2010 10:05 pm

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions!!
Melanie

Return to “General C. diff. Discussion”